Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 01:19 PM

Default NL25 2 hands, help my friend

I'm talking with a friend who is playing Nl25 and is posting me some hands to look at while I am at work. He believes he played both of these hands optimally pf, I disagree. Obv results don't matter (he won both), as its pf I'm discussing.

His argument in this hand is that he is raising small with 3 limpers here in order to "build the pot if he hits a set," and if he misses he doesn't lose much. Please explain to him whether or not this is optimal, as he won't listen to me.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $11.30
<font color="black">Hero (BB): $46.25</font>
UTG: $21.20
CO: $25.00
BTN: $20.15

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG calls $0.25, CO folds, BTN calls $0.25, SB calls $0.15, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, UTG calls $0.50, BTN calls $0.50, SB calls $0.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($3) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $3.00</font>, UTG folds, BTN calls $3.00, <font color="red">SB raises to $6.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $12.00</font>, BTN folds, SB calls all-in for $4.55
Uncalled bet of $1.45 returned to Hero

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($27.10) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

<font color="black">River:</font> ($27.10) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $27.10 ($1.30 Rake)

SB had J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a pair of Jacks) and LOST (-$11.30)
Hero had 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Fours) and WON (+$14.50)

2nd hand, asked him why he was even completing with so many limpers with a9o, and he said that he was usually getting paid off with people limping with weak aces.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

<font color="black">Hero (SB): $27.55</font>
BB: $15.75
UTG: $37.30
MP: $9.15
CO: $5.45
BTN: $9.95

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $0.25, MP folds, CO calls $0.25, BTN calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.15, BB checks

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($1.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1.00</font>, 2 folds, CO calls $1.00, BTN folds

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($3.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>, CO calls $2.00

<font color="black">River:</font> ($7.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.20</font>, CO calls all-in for $2.20

Pot Size: $11.65 ($0.55 Rake)

CO had 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and LOST (-$5.45)
Hero had A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (two pair, Aces and Nines) and WON (+$5.65)
Old 05-29-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: NL25 2 hands, help my friend

I think the 1st hand is the more intresting one. I am the friend obviously.

I think raising as much as nonfictional would have me raise (about 1.5) creates a bad RIO situation that generally gets worse the more people call me. On any flop containing an A, K, and to a lesser extent Q I'm risking alot more with a cbet than I'd stand to gain since I'd have to bet 3d into the pot and most any A K or Q that called my pf raise is calling me down. Even on optimal flops where I don't hit my set, like 8 2 5, I run the risk of being called down by a higher overpair like 77 or 99.

my reasoning was that a smallish raise might get a couple folds, but more importantly gives me the inititive on the flop and builds a pot in case I do hit my set. Obv to be profitable I have to get paid off big when I do hit, but generally I find people at nl25 are stupid and spending .5c to get 20+ seems like a good play to me.

As to hand 2, I'll complete in the sb with A9 A8 A7 generally cause I find I tend to get paid off by weaker aces. I usually slow down on the turn/river but in this case I was up against a complete moron (who constantly rebuyed for 5 dollars and had been stacked about 6-7 times since i sat down) and turned 2pair.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:41 PM

both hands look fine to me. Sometime I raise low pairs, sometime I call, it really depends, but I think either choice is okay. If you're going to raise though I raise more, maybe to 1.10. Second hand is fine too, You played a decent hand from the sb, I like a lead there and the turn is obviously good for you, if you get some callers on the flop and miss a blank turn, then slow down a bit. I think in general, especially against the weak passive calling stations that you see, I probably wouldn't call a raise with this hand because people wont raise hands like AQ when an ace hits, so you might think youre good, but out of the sb it looks good.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On any flop containing an A, K, and to a lesser extent Q I'm risking alot more with a cbet than I'd stand to gain since I'd have to bet 3d into the pot and most any A K or Q that called my pf raise is calling me down.

my reasoning was that a smallish raise might get a couple folds, but more importantly gives me the inititive on the flop and builds a pot in case I do hit my set.

[/ QUOTE ]

These sentences are somewhat contradictory. In the first, you are essentially saying that you don't want to have to c-bet (first, you never really have to c-bet a flop). In the second, you are saying that you put in a small-ish raise for initiative on the flop. Initiative on the flop usually means c-betting when you want to. Your raise here isn't for initiative and it shouldn't be to fold out other hands (it's too small for that). Your raise here is solely a pot sweetener.

It's fine, but your reasons for doing it are a bit off. You're doing this to build a pot, not to fold out others or set up a c-bet on the flop. Think about your opponents and their stack sizes when making this play.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

These sentences are somewhat contradictory. In the first, you are essentially saying that you don't want to have to c-bet (first, you never really have to c-bet a flop). In the second, you are saying that you put in a small-ish raise for initiative on the flop. Initiative on the flop usually means c-betting when you want to. Your raise here isn't for initiative and it shouldn't be to fold out other hands (it's too small for that). Your raise here is solely a pot sweetener.

It's fine, but your reasons for doing it are a bit off. You're doing this to build a pot, not to fold out others or set up a c-bet on the flop. Think about your opponents and their stack sizes when making this play.

[/ QUOTE ]

true. I think my reasoning basically is a c-bet on this flop would generally have a better risk/reward ratio. My c-bet wouldn't be as big and I stand to gain more from it if i win the pot. But obviously what I want is a pot somebody will have a hard time leaving if i hit my set.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:29 PM

hand 1 is fine.. though if its a table where there's a lot of 3betting then I would simply complete. Though the small raise says to me small PP. Is that your usual raise size?

Hand2- Personally I don't like it. Calling with A9os to get people playing weak aces... I think is a little ironic.

As you start to play against better players I think you'll be put to the test and lose a lot with A9os.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:32 PM

my usual raise is 1-1.5.

As for hand 2 I definitely agree that on higher levels i'd lose. The only reason I do it is because I frequently get called down by lower aces. Higher levels I'd fold.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:44 PM

hand 2... dont like limp pre flop...
TWO words that sums up hand two... PAID OFF....
Old 05-29-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1 is fine.. though if its a table where there's a lot of 3betting then I would simply complete. Though the small raise says to me small PP. Is that your usual raise size?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I was saying, I don't understand what that raise is accomplishing. I either raise that up larger or just limp. While that small raise is "building the pot" if you hit, the vast majority of the time you aren't going to hit and are simply losing money, since that pf raise isn't large enough to get anyone else to fold or gain any respect. Depending on the table and number of limpers I either raise pf to cbet the flop or limp preflop and set mine, you seem to be trying to do both at once.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:17 PM

His table selection is awesome. The guy with the 6J is fantastic.