Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Lay Down Second Set on the River? 25-50

I was playing 25-50 last night at the Venetian and had an interesting hand.

Table was 8 handed. Villain had about 20k or so and was fairly aggressive playing a lot of pots bluffing about half of them. He liked to call people's raises pre-flop for the chance to outplay them. So he could shove his cards in their face once they made a bad lay down. I saw him do this 3 times already and I've only been at the table for about an hour. Anyways on to the hand. I'm the small fry as usual sat down w/ about 8k and worked it up to about 13k at this point.

Hero gets J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP.

Pre-Flop: UTG limps folds to hero who makes it 300, Villain directly to my left calls, button calls, rest fold. 3 players

Flop: (1025) J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets 900 Villain calls, button folds.

Turn: (2825) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Herco checks, Villain checks (I was intending to CR here since the likeliness of him betting here was very high.)

River: (2825) Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets 1200 Villain raises to 5200. Hero?

And I know obviously bet the turn hard, but I was taking a chance here because of the type of player I was up against. There's only 15 bad river cards so I took my chance.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Lay Down Second Set on the River? 25-50

Id call this, although it does look like he may have spiked that gut shot AK on you. But I'm not sure if he'd reraise that pre, he prob would. I think your river bet is so small that you induced the bluff, so id pay off. You made a potsize bet ($2500) and he raises that then i'd prob fold
Old 04-15-2007, 05:53 PM

instant call...thats why you bet $1200 on the river right?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:59 PM

No I bet for value. I thought my hand looked quite strong given the line I took. I took the same line in a hand before with him when I had top two which he paid off w/ TPTK after much thought. I think is he has air he bets the turn here. When he checked behind I put him on a draw like 89 or AK diamonds type hand.
I really felt he thought I was strong because my line here looks like about what I have or a draw that got there like a hand like he probably had. The only hand I've seen him reraise pre-flop is AA and he pops it big.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:06 PM

I like check/call on this river way more than betting. I dont think your getting much value from your hand because he would have bet any half-way decent made hand on the turn. I like your hand as a bluffcatcher.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No I bet for value. I thought my hand looked quite strong given the line I took. I took the same line in a hand before with him when I had top two which he paid off w/ TPTK after much thought. I think is he has air he bets the turn here. When he checked behind I put him on a draw like 89 or AK diamonds type hand.
I really felt he thought I was strong because my line here looks like about what I have or a draw that got there like a hand like he probably had. The only hand I've seen him reraise pre-flop is AA and he pops it big.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't bet $1200 on the river and then fold as you are begging him to raise and based on what you say he bluffs a ton right?

Had you bet $2200 and he pushed then it would be more interesting mainly because it looks like you have QQ/AK/bluff so not a ton of hands raise for value.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:13 PM

QQ is really unlikely because by the description you gave, he would probably reraised preflop, or reraised you at the flop. He did neither. AK may be a possiblity but I suspect he would try to take it away from you at the turn, or possbly at the flop if he had that hand.

Your river bet looks really weak, and may have induced him to take a stab at this. So I think you gotta call this one.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:30 PM

call and everybody who says different has no clue.

with that weak river bet he could be even value raising with 2 pr. (QT for example) not to mention the high likelyhood of this playertype bluffing a missed flushdraw.

if you bet 2500 and he shoves well thats closer but still a call imo.
btw i like your turn check-raise attempt, but it should be a large one. probably all-in if he bets anywhere near potsize.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:38 PM

You flopped top set on the flop and bet out.When you checked the turn(slowed down),and then value bet $1200 on the river......based on your description of villain,i think you "begged him" to C/R at that point as Jw513 said above.
I call here also!

~sf
Old 04-15-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call and everybody who says different has no clue.

with that weak river bet he could be even value raising with 2 pr. (QT for example) not to mention the high likelyhood of this playertype bluffing a missed flushdraw.

if you bet 2500 and he shoves well thats closer but still a call imo.
btw i like your turn check-raise attempt, but it should be a large one. probably all-in if he bets anywhere near potsize.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is 98 a lot though.