Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Fashion - For the portly gentleman

I am not offering any tips, but I am looking for some. I am a portly gentleman 6'4 ~300 lbs, not as fat as that sounds, but I have yet to meet a slim 300 pounder. I say I'm not as fat as it sounds because I have played sports my whole life, so I'm not perfectly round (think the physique of a centre, or a blocking TE in the NFL).

My problem is that my daily wardrobe consists of jeans, t-shirts and sweats. I am going into a profession (teaching) that will require me to dress a little more than a grown up. I have 2 criteria for any tips:

1. I am looking for a business casual kind of look. I don't wanna be the teacher wearing a 3 piece suit.

2. It must be age appropriate. I am 32 years old, so what is cool for a 20 year old, might look pretty dumb on me.

I hope that this thread turns into a good resource for the big boys out there (and since it's the internet, I am not alone) to be fashionable in a little man's world.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Fashion - For the portly gentleman

OK, business casual for an overweight 30-year-old. Let's try "button down shirt" and "slacks", very large in size.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:05 AM

Great thread. I am 5'10", and about 280. I am also a teacher. This may sound really dumb, but I find that nice sweater vests look great. Not cardigans, but simple pullover sweater vests. I have about a dozen or so, in many colors. Most of them are thin, and help "hide" my extra assets. I wear them with various color dress shirts and nice pants. I think it's a great look for the portly man.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:31 AM

I have a friend who is about 6', 250-270 (depending on his recent activity) and he swears by Brooks Brothers clothes. He says that they have both proper sizes and the right cut to fit him well. They have complete lines from business to casual, or so it seems after a brief review of their website. I don't know if this was more than you were trying to spend, but the clothes are certainly classic and tasteful.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:46 AM

I am about the same general size as the OP, and I purchase most of my clothes at Polo.com.

I find that the high prices are generally well worth it becuase of the quality of clothing.

I have also heard very good things about Brooks Brothers.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, business casual for an overweight 30-year-old. Let's try "button down shirt" and "slacks", very large in size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously how is this not obvious. Throw in a sweater on cold days. Find a local big and tall store and go to town.

Did I click on OOT by mistake?

J
Old 02-01-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously how is this not obvious. Throw in a sweater on cold days. Find a local big and tall store and go to town.

Did I click on OOT by mistake?

J

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking for different options, as well as some overall fashion tips. I see people much fatter than me, but they seem to be pretty styling. I have no clue on what is fashionable, or how to put 'outfits' together. Hell, I just learned that you can't wear brown shoes with a black belt.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:50 AM

Casualmale actually has some pretty decent clothing there. That usually where I go for my stuff. They have a lot of [censored] ass brands, but there is good stuff to be found.

In their physical stores they sell some nice dockers and Izod shirts for a little more casual look. For a more professional look, they have Calvin Klein and Beene shirts, and some Beene suits. When going to their B+M locations, avoid all of the Forman crap. Its overpriced and cheap quality, and rips easily. The harbor bay stuff is ok, but meh.

In their online store, they sell Polo, more Izod, more Calvin Klein. I also know online you can get Lacoste shirts in larger sizes, check ebay.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Fashion - For the portly gentleman *DELETED*

Post deleted by El Diablo
Old 02-01-2007, 02:13 AM

Here are just some suggestions of what people have said they like how they look on me. Note I am a little bigger than you and I happen to wear shorts year round. Its just my thing, but I can show you some nice shirts that I got.

I have this in a few different colors. It will probably look best a size large, and the slacks obviously depend on the color.

I have this shirt, and in purple. Off all the shirts I own, I get the most complements about the purple shirt.

In general, I find it best to wear darker slacks, as it deemphasizes the gut. I usually mix between dark and light shirts, depending on what shorts I am wearing.