Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 01-12-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: 100 Hours of....Corruption

[ QUOTE ]
If the cost of living in Samoa is low, it might not make sense to impose the minimum wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how diehard Dems can make any argument about the MW that uses ecomnomic realities as a portion of it after ignoring them in ever other emotional appeal.

[ QUOTE ]
2. I hate to say this, but doing favors for companies in your district is completely standard and does not mean Pelosi is corrupt. Her constituents probably want that company to be healthy for the jobs it provides.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just admit it smells like week old tuna and we'll move on.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Standing ovation for William Jefferson. Reid's property sham. Whines for "minority party" rights...when they were the minority, ignore them when they are the majority.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the MW bill is clearly politics. Economic rationalization here, none there. If the Dems are hypocrits, why don't we ever hear from you about the Republican hypocrisy of the last decade? Why bring out the bullhorn now? Aren't they both hypocrits? Didn't we hear this bipartisanship/cooperative BS every election cycle from Republicans too?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Jever notice that Air America actually rips Dems instead of blindly carrying their water, like Rush, Hannity, et al.?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparantly you don't actually listen to Rush, Hannity, et al. or you'd know better.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isnt football copernicus, people's lives are at stake.

[/ QUOTE ]

<u>Headline</u> : "Bush Eats Live Babies"

<u>Copernicus</u> : "Babies corrupt! May have been hiding WMDs!"

q/q
Old 01-12-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Oh Really.............

[ QUOTE ]
1. Pelosi doing a favor isn't necessarily the reason that American Samoa was exempted. If the cost of living in Samoa is low, it might not make sense to impose the minimum wage. I don't know what the cost of living is, but I bet its lower than the States.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then by this logic other US territories with low costs of living should be exempt as well...

[ QUOTE ]
2. I hate to say this, but doing favors for companies in your district is completely standard and does not mean Pelosi is corrupt. Her constituents probably want that company to be healthy for the jobs it provides.

[/ QUOTE ]
I suspect if a Repub did this you would be the first to criticize this act. But a Dem gets a pass from you... Also is it not OK for the constituents of Repub districts to want their local companies to be "healthy"?

Personally, I think a federal minimum wage is unconstitutional. It takes a VERY creative interpretation of the interstate commerce clause to say the federal govt has this power...
Old 01-12-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Oh Really.............

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think a federal minimum wage is unconstitutional. It takes a VERY creative interpretation of the interstate commerce clause to say the federal govt has this power...

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the one we have currently where growing wheat on your own land for your own use is "interstate commerce" (because you COULD have engaged in commerce instead).
Old 01-12-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice job, Wicked Witch of the West.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you mean Ms. Bolshevik?

-Zeno
Old 01-12-2007, 10:19 PM

oh that's terrible - let me take back my vote -

on second thought, let me know when her corruption has resulted in the deaths of 3K Americans and a hundred thousand Iraqi Civilians. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

rb
Old 01-12-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Oh Really.............

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how any interpretation of the constitution could possibly give the Federal gov't this authority. Of course I have never heard anyone attempt to explain how it could be.

Any takers?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Pelosi doing a favor isn't necessarily the reason that American Samoa was exempted. If the cost of living in Samoa is low, it might not make sense to impose the minimum wage. I don't know what the cost of living is, but I bet its lower than the States.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. And lower than every other American territory that isnt exempted? It was the only one, till she got caught. Get real.

2. Youre right it isnt, necessarily. But it is still hypocritical given the campaign rhetoric about "transparency", "bipartisanship", "eliminating earmarks", etc. It IS corrupt if she has a substantial ownership interest in the company, which one report said she did. It SMELLS and may actually be corrupt if they made substantial campaign contributions.