Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 01-05-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Which should you trust more your head or your heart

[ QUOTE ]
1999: "Which is more Dangerous -- Science or Religion?" The 1999 Think-Off received essays from contestants in Pakistan, Denmark, Argentina and all over the United States. Mark Friestad, a social studies teacher from North Dakota, won the final debate arguing that science is more dangerous because people often accept it blindly without question.

[/ QUOTE ] After reading the essays online I would have voted the same way.
"And the nature of scientific progress ensures that in the future the average person will be less, not more, capable of making technical judgments."
" But the public, fascinated with progress, often asks, "Can we?" without always addressing, "Should we?" Science doesn't purport to make ethical judgments. That makes it dangerous."
And everyone knows that whomever mentions Hilter wins
"Hitler's campaign of genocide was grounded less in the gospel of white supremacy than in the science of eugenics"
Old 01-05-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, the writing isn't that great. How about a better idea than a boycott - let's see if we can get multiple 2+2ers into the final four?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, but whatever side you pick, I'll have to argue the other. But there are many posters on here I think would do a far better job than I would. College kid was a pretty persuasive writing style, for instance.

[/ QUOTE ]

We should get as many entrants from here as possible to maximize our chances. I think we have a good chance - the finalists tend to be "good, but not great" which probably fits most of us.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1999: "Which is more Dangerous -- Science or Religion?" The 1999 Think-Off received essays from contestants in Pakistan, Denmark, Argentina and all over the United States. Mark Friestad, a social studies teacher from North Dakota, won the final debate arguing that science is more dangerous because people often accept it blindly without question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait... what?
Old 01-05-2007, 05:14 AM

To the OP,

Trust neither one more than the other. They both have huge problems!
Old 01-05-2007, 05:41 AM

Too easy;

"Where trust describes a a feeling of security on reliance on performance of some type, both have completely different tasks. Just as the head cannot be trusted to pump blood around the body, the heart cannot be trusted to recieve and process external stimuli and make decisions (not too mentioned regulating breathing, processesing speech, etc etc).

It is easy to conclude that the heart manages its most distinct function more reliably than the brain: Nearly all people regularly make bad decisions, but do not consider themselves at constant risk of impending heart failure. Therefore, it is fair to trust the heart more than the head"

It is possible the question intended to refer to trusting subconcious thought processes over concious thought processes, but this isn't what it asked, and since allowing that type of suppostion is not conducive to a high-quality debate, I will assume it will not be considered."
Old 01-05-2007, 06:03 AM

I thought this was a joke when i saw the due date was April Fool's day.
Clearly the only rational choice is to go with heart.