Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Re: 50k Challenge reopened with higher stakes

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The most used example is shouting fire in a crowded theater. Well, it's akin to shouting that stem cell research is murder.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL (literally this time). This is an incredibly stupid statement.

[ QUOTE ]
Emotion based PC is the opposite of what I am advocating in this piece.

[/ QUOTE ]

Emotion based PC is not the opposite of mental retardation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fire = Soul in a blastula
Panic and trampling = Suffering of people with diseases that could be cured
Is the uneeded suffereing of those with desease funny to you to make you LOL while speaking of the non existant soul in a blastula? Millions of people are trampled in a crowed theatre every day becuase some outdated ethos shoots about a fire that there is no evidence for, but they have faith that their is a fire. Becuase the bible tells them there is a fire.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the uneeded suffereing of those with desease funny to you to make you LOL while speaking of the non existant soul in a blastula?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize that you thought of your stupidity as a disease.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
non-violent organization that ultimately has no real authority and relies on voluntary contributions to subsist

[/ QUOTE ] If only this was true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was tapping his ruby slippers together when he typed that..on the belief that saying 'non-violent' while tapping makes it true.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]I'm really at an impass of the best way to approach the more moderate religous persons. On one hand they change thier when sufficent evidence presents itself, but on the other hand when more extremists commit acts of evil they think that it's not really that is at the cause of that act, but instead that the person wasn't influenced by politics, brainwashed by leaders, or let slip thru the cracks of culture. Taking something on faith either that of virgins awiating a matyr, or stem cell researchers are muderers is very dangerous.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course I don't want to outlaw the church, I want the church held accountable for it's misdeeds.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the least, there are ministers and churches in africa that should be both sued privately for and charged criminally with crimes related to 'reckless indifference'.

Gates foundation is spending money on Aids prevention ... funding some of these suits would be a good investment.

luckyme
Old 12-23-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is the uneeded suffereing of those with desease funny to you to make you LOL while speaking of the non existant soul in a blastula?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize that you thought of your stupidity as a disease.

[/ QUOTE ]Seriously, show me what is this soul you are taking about. Where is this fire that you speak of, people are dying and suffering because you believe it to exist? Why should your views be immune to criticism, or protected by free speach, that the fire shouters views aren't?
Old 12-23-2006, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, show me what is this soul you are taking about. Where is this fire that you speak of that people are dying becuase you believe it to exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you're talking about. I was putting the lie to your terrible analogy. The only fire that has been brought up in the discussion was the hypothetical one in a crowded theater.

If you want to shift the discussion to the existence of a soul, that's fine, but you haven't addressed my comment, as far as I can tell.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
funding some of these suits would be a good investment.

[/ QUOTE ] It would be a very effective use of funds.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:01 PM

BTW...I don't really think you're stupid. I was just poking fun at you. Hope you didn't take that too seriously.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, show me what is this soul you are taking about. Where is this fire that you speak of that people are dying becuase you believe it to exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you're talking about. I was putting the lie to your terrible analogy. The only fire that has been brought up in the discussion was the hypothetical one in a crowded theater.

If you want to shift the discussion to the existence of a soul, that's fine, but you haven't addressed my comment, as far as I can tell.

[/ QUOTE ]What else could it be that you think is in a blastula? You didn't actually say soul, if it is something else I will retract.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really at an impass of the best way to approach the more moderate religous persons.

[/ QUOTE ]

The term 'moderate religious person' is a bit of a cover myth. At the least they act as enablers for the more overtly violent/aggressive breed of cultist but that ignores the great harm they do directly with actions such as their approach to aids and various legistated issues.

Moderates are culpable, perhaps more so if we take the 'they should know better' approach.

luckyme