Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-17-2006, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Religion A perfectly rational belief

[ QUOTE ]
Hey MIdGe, been a long time. Hope you are doing well. The huge inflated ego isn't regulated to only the religious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heya Doug,

Quite right! But it seems to be always involved with the religious, since it is usually a matter of personal salvation.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:58 AM

It may be human nature, but it's not rational. Given how much we've learned and the fact that we keep filling in those gaps with more and more knowledge should give one considerable doubt about god being in those gaps, since we keep closing them without him.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It may be human nature, but it's not rational. Given how much we've learned and the fact that we keep filling in those gaps with more and more knowledge should give one considerable doubt about god being in those gaps, since we keep closing them without him.

[/ QUOTE ]

when you stop using theory as fact let me know, until then its just sad to me how many scientists preach about how much we KNOW and act greater than christians when their beliefs take just as much faith in my opinion.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
scientists preach about how much we KNOW and act greater than christians when their beliefs take just as much faith in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we know how little you need, to have faith!
Old 12-18-2006, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I couldn't argee more. The point wasn't that a religious belief is correct, merely that having a belief is rational. Becuase the mind presents falsehood as truth to you. I think this outlook is a better description than "God of the Gaps". Religion was perfectly rational 2,000 years ago, It becomes less so as each day passes. And it wasn't until about 100 years ago that the needed infromation was present to shift it's rationality.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey MIdGe, been a long time. Hope you are doing well. The huge inflated ego isn't regulated to only the religious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heya Doug,

Quite right! But it seems to be always involved with the religious, since it is usually a matter of personal salvation.

[/ QUOTE ]The snake oil sales aspect of religious thought is quite troubling indeed. The pitch believe this and you will live forever, is much more appealing than base you life of reason and reality. I'm not certain that the relgious are any more egotistical then the non religious. They just have a better marketing team.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The snake oil sales aspect of religious thought is quite troubling indeed. The pitch believe this and you will live forever, is much more appealing than base you life of reason and reality. I'm not certain that the relgious are any more egotistical then the non religious. They just have a better marketing team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no doubts they need marketing! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It is the only way to sell a product that has no benefit!
Old 12-18-2006, 08:14 AM

Say what!? I'm not even sure what you just said, but it seemed like you were disagreeing with something.

We do KNOW a lot. In fact, much more than we used to. The fact that we still don't know a lot means nothing. It just means there's more to learn, possibly an infinite amount--I don't know if we'll ever know everything! Science isn't a search of answers, it's the search for the right questions. (oooohh, deep. Yes, I came up with that, unless I heard it somewhere and am forgetting...)

God is not an answer, or even likely to exist. God is a cop-out for ignorance. Why not just admit we don't know???

How exactly does a confirmed scientific theory take as much belief as your belief in god??? I believe a ball will fall when I drop it because it always has before, and I have an understanding of the reasons WHY it has done that before and should do it again. That belief is based on testing and deduction. God is based on...... ???????...... Seriously, the idea of god actually existing (as more than a name for nature or spiritual experiences) is so far out in left field... wow. Think about it??? What is belief???? Thinking something is true without reason and defending it!!! Is that considered GOOD anywhere else????????
Old 12-18-2006, 08:15 AM

Interesting. Agreed. Though it might become more rational after we nuke everything and lose all our knowledge! Seriously, I am very concerned that we will kill ourselves off within my lifetime (pun intended).
Old 12-18-2006, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Agreed. Though it might become more rational after we nuke everything and lose all our knowledge! Seriously, I am very concerned that we will kill ourselves off within my lifetime (pun intended).

[/ QUOTE ]I'm concerned about that as well. Extending the time line far out enough. The estimate I hear are 100-500 yrs. All the different ways we can destroy human life, both actively(nuclear war) and passively(not pursueing stem cell research), add up to near certainty.

A 2nd ancillary point is the the filling in the details also describes faith to a reasonable aproxiamaton. I have faith that god exists. I know without science telling me so. My mind tells me so.