Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 10:07 PM

Default Teach Doug Buddhism

FM and MidGe care to teach me buddhism? Also this is open to anyone else that has a positive view of buddhism that wants to share. Where do I start?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Teach Doug Buddhism

Buddhanet

Seems as good a place as any to start for resources.

But, really, it can be distilled into this: When you're hungry, eat. When you need to make water, find a pot. When you're tired, sleep. The rest is to recognize suffering and come to terms with it. That survival is not necessary, because having survived, you have done what's necessary to survive.

As for nirvana, well, you are, independent of any other force, regardless of cause or change, you are. That doesn't mean you were or you will be, but that it is enough to realize that you are. And that's a slippery concept to explain to a Western mind, I think, because the mind is so dependent on cause and effect.

The point of existence is to not alleviate suffering, but recognize that it exists and you can not do anything about it. That if you can ease your own suffering and that of others without infringing on their desire to manage their own suffering, you should.

It is understanding that control over anything is an illusion, and when you realize this truth, you can release yourself to the understanding that being is enough. That enlightment is not to be created, but to be found and allow yourself to realize that by existing, you have fulfilled all that you need to fulfill for yourself.

Perhaps it seems tautological, and perhaps it is. As far as paying tribute or worshipping Buddha, I've never quite understood how that fit in, because even he would not have understood why people were inclined to do that. You don't reach enlightenment by worshipping an idol, it is the methods and the things you do, meditating, ritual lighting, pilgrimages that set you into the necessary mindset to be receptive to the teachings and wisdom.

You cannot pass or fail by any standards, because there aren't any. Your true master is yourself, and when you allow yourself to flow, to look around and discover the harmony, you're closer to enlightenment. The masters are there to guide you towards the better paths, and to the teachings that give you the framework to discover within yourself.

So as far as teachings go, it is best to look upon them as merely a collection of wisdom come to individually by previous individuals, nothing more.

It's not about endgoals, really, or about a future Paradise. Everything is in the now, and the sooner it is realized you exist and merely have to let yourself see that, the sooner you are better able to find peace within yourself.

If I have a bias about my own understanding, it is that I realize the rituals and worship of Buddha or the Dalai Lama are unnecessary, but that's not to say it's a pragmatic way of keeping cohesiveness among the faiths.

And I've considered, also, that the perfect Buddhists are felines. When you watch a cat go about its existence for a interval of time, and can understand why the cat exists, and how it recognizes itself... That's a realization that stays with you, and when the chaos of life overwhelms you, you can always go back and remember the cat, and understand it.

Wow. So many words to explain what seems simple. Perhaps it isn't, after all. Hmm.

Even Shakespeare lends credence to this in one of his lines: "All sound and fury, signifying nothing."
Old 11-06-2006, 12:48 AM

As a former practicing Buddhist, I highly recommend finding a Zazen sitting group and practicing meditation with them. That's something I've been meaning to get back into actually.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a former practicing Buddhist, I highly recommend finding a Zazen sitting group and practicing meditation with them. That's something I've been meaning to get back into actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good idea. So's finding an informal t'ai chi group.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good idea. So's finding an informal t'ai chi group.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a cool idea, I've always wanted to try that. My old zazen group did something similar, kinda; we would break up the sitting halfway and do a walking meditation where we walked about in sync at a slow, steady pace. It was very cool.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:19 AM

"As far as paying tribute or worshipping Buddha, I've never quite understood how that fit in, because even he would not have understood why people were inclined to do that. You don't reach enlightenment by worshipping an idol, it is the methods and the things you do, meditating, ritual lighting, pilgrimages that set you into the necessary mindset to be receptive to the teachings and wisdom."

Many great spiritual masters would disagree with you there. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] In fact, they say the opposite. They say that you can reach enlightenment by either surrender to God or the guru or through self-inquiry, as long as you do it with extreme devotion. Things like meditation could never lead to enlightenment, because enlightenment is the realization that the 'ego'-self is just an illusion, and not real, while meditation presupposes the ego's existence to practice it!

BTW, when you speak of enlightenment, what do you mean?
Old 11-06-2006, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you go about finding something like that?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:36 AM

I think Buddhism to be fascinating.

Unfortunately I can never become a Buddhist, because I have low blood-sugar, and the best medicine for that is to eat raw unions every day, which I do.
Thus I cannot become a Buddhist!

If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"As far as paying tribute or worshipping Buddha, I've never quite understood how that fit in, because even he would not have understood why people were inclined to do that. You don't reach enlightenment by worshipping an idol, it is the methods and the things you do, meditating, ritual lighting, pilgrimages that set you into the necessary mindset to be receptive to the teachings and wisdom."

Many great spiritual masters would disagree with you there. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] In fact, they say the opposite. They say that you can reach enlightenment by either surrender to God or the guru or through self-inquiry, as long as you do it with extreme devotion. Things like meditation could never lead to enlightenment, because enlightenment is the realization that the 'ego'-self is just an illusion, and not real, while meditation presupposes the ego's existence to practice it!

BTW, when you speak of enlightenment, what do you mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but my misunderstanding of the paying of tribute or the worship of idols is merely one of my opinion. I do not consider these to be necessary steps. Perhaps they are for many Buddhists. I've found Nature herself to be temple enough.

Self-inquiry, yes, and that is where most of my progress has been made. Understanding myself and how I relate to nature and other individuals. And simply coming to the realization that even all a great teacher does is make the correct paths easier to find, and help you along the path.

I'm stubborn though, and would rather have explored all the wrong paths before the correct path made itself clear by elimination. Much like bowels, I suppose.

Ah, a paradox. I consider enlightment to be these brief interludes where you forget of yourself, and just let yourself go with Nature. But you, and your ego-self, as you term it, first have to recognize that selfness to let go of it. It may be a transitory illusion, but you can say the same of individual life.

I struggle to describe what I understand when I watch a cat. Certainly you recognize elements of yourself within the cat, yet are unable to attain the state that a cat is born into. It's not envy, perhaps, but a wistful wishing.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:53 AM

Perhaps you'd like this. Not buddhism, but non-dual inquiry. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] edit: also this. (same website)