Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 12:04 PM

Default Re: New hope for liberals

[ QUOTE ]
Throwing more money at education isnt going to help any inner city kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you're saying affording them with computers, liberal arts programs, music & sports programs, equal to that of an affluent area, along with more qualified teachers, would do no good?

Maybe the answer is to bus them out of the inner cities, into the more affluent areas outside the cities.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Throwing more money at education isnt going to help any inner city kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you're saying affording them with computers, liberal arts programs, music & sports programs, equal to that of an affluent area, along with more qualified teachers, would do no good?

Maybe the answer is to bus them out of the inner cities, into the more affluent areas outside the cities.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be far more effective to bus in a "Big Brother" or surrogate parent with the authority to discipline them.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be far more effective to bus in a "Big Brother" or surrogate parent with the authority to discipline them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has long been my belief, i.e., segregate the students (within the city) by their performance.
You have N schools that house only those students with minimal, if any disciplinary problems, and get A's & B's. This affords them the opportunity to further their quest in an environment that works in concert with their quest.
They get the best computers, the best sports programs, the best Arts programs, the most qualified teachers.
You house the students who are nothing but trouble in seperate schools, manned with armed guards to help prevent them from killing each other, and those in between in other schools.
Now, the students can SEE what rewards are available to them by taking a positive approach to their school years.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has long been my belief, i.e., segregate the students (within the city) by their performance.
You have N schools that house only those students with minimal, if any disciplinary problems, and get A's & B's. This affords them the opportunity to further their quest in an environment that works in concert with their quest.
They get the best computers, the best sports programs, the best Arts programs, the most qualified teachers.
You house the students who are nothing but trouble in seperate schools, manned with armed guards to help prevent them from killing each other, and those in between in other schools.
Now, the students can SEE what rewards are available to them by taking a positive approach to their school years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grades cant be the sole criterion, since we know how inaccurate and subjective they can be. The NYC magnet and gifted schools (eg Bronx HS of Science) work pretty well, but the admissions process is pretty comprehensive, and that doesnt address the average students needs..they are still thrown into "blackboard jungle" schools.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:38 PM

"There are many who thank God every night, that they have such a President currently in office, saving tax dollars that would otherwise go to the Public School System..."

I'm still looking for the constitutional mandate for federal involvement in local education. Point it out for me, OK?
Old 07-05-2006, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife's a public school teacher in L.A. I have thought similar ideas as yours for a long time now. The bad apples really do spoil it for the rest.

Although my idea is a bit simpler: two tiers instead of the three you mention (your idea is good too). The judgement is more about behavior than grades. Put the worst behaving kids in a few schools with armed guards, and keep everyone else in the rest of the schools. Review the kids in the "trouble" schools every 6 months: the best ones get to move back to the "normal" schools, hopefully having learned their lesson. The gangstas, taggers, and sociopaths stay put.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3a. Have a sense of humor and don't be an uptight anal retentive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! Liberals are braindead! But now we have hope! Hilarious!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3a. Have a sense of humor and don't be an uptight anal retentive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! Liberals are braindead! But now we have hope! Hilarious!

[/ QUOTE ]

There ya go, good job. Studies have shown that even insincere smiling is uplifting to one's mood. (and evil twin would have thought it was hilarious if he/she posted it first)
Old 07-05-2006, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Grades cant be the sole criterion, since we know how inaccurate and subjective they can be. The NYC magnet and gifted schools (eg Bronx HS of Science) work pretty well, but the admissions process is pretty comprehensive, and that doesnt address the average students needs..they are still thrown into "blackboard jungle" schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it that you are saying there has not been an answer demonstrated and that you do not have one?
If so, is it your position that we stop spending money, and, how do we go about finding an answer?
Old 07-05-2006, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"There are many who thank God every night, that they have such a President currently in office, saving tax dollars that would otherwise go to the Public School System..."

I'm still looking for the constitutional mandate for federal involvement in local education. Point it out for me, OK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure Fish, it's right there in the Preamble, the 'promote the general Welfare' line and again in Article 1 section 8. That's carte blanche for the libs.