Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 01:20 PM

Default The 1 hour run

So I've been running 1 hour per day on the treadmill at my local gym everyday and the results are starting to get good.
Some things:

1. If you are Obese it is going to take some serious effort to change your body structure. running for 1 hour a day is tedious and hard but is a great way to change your life.

2. Bringing an Ipod makes the time pass faster.

3. I find that making sure u run EVERYDAY is crucial even if you don't get a great workout when ur feeling tired or whatever because it's all about forming a habit. Habits are hard to break but taking 1 day off makes it ez to take the next day off etc etc.

4. If you are obese like I am (or rather getting away from) you will find that running everyday puts alot of strain on your muscles/joints (knees especiall).
Even worse can be the irration of your skin from repeated movements and sweaty clothing.
I'm just saying this so u know ahead of time. The fact of that matter is that unless you have a real clinical injury you should try to maintain your workout EVERYDAY. Fighting through the pain is hard and tests your resolve.

In the end, i think it comes down to the fact that you have to pay the price for your unhealthy decisions that sometimes accumulate into a huge weight problem over the years.

On the brightside, putting in the effort everyday, you will see an improvement everday and can eventually achieve ur goal!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: The 1 hour run

you could do the same workout in 10 minutes with none of the knee/skin irritation issues.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you could do the same workout in 10 minutes with none of the knee/skin irritation issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

elaborate.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:19 PM

instead of running at x pace for 60 minutes, run at 6x pace for 10 minutes.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
instead of running at x pace for 60 minutes, run at 6x pace for 10 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the best idea for someone who's obese and out of shape, but yes that should be the goal.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3. I find that making sure u run EVERYDAY is crucial even if you don't get a great workout when ur feeling tired or whatever because it's all about forming a habit. Habits are hard to break but taking 1 day off makes it ez to take the next day off etc etc.

4. If you are obese like I am (or rather getting away from) you will find that running everyday puts alot of strain on your muscles/joints (knees especiall).
Even worse can be the irration of your skin from repeated movements and sweaty clothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you are seeing results and realize that working out can become part of your lifestyle which is critical to sustaining success.

Re: sweating clothes (chafing)--I'm an expert, as I am a sweaty bastard. Fairly simple solution: Embrace the microfiber technology!!!! (ie, Under Armour, etc). You can find shirts/shorts at Target for $10-20 all the time. Look for microfiber underwear (boxer briefs help protect your legs from chafing).

Lose the cotton!!! Microfiber also lasts forever (years) even after weekly washings.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. If you are Obese it is going to take some serious effort to change your body structure. running for 1 hour a day is tedious and hard but is a great way to change your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Effective tedious and hard solutions are everywhere for changing your life and getting unfat. The fact that they are tedious and hard is why so many people stay obese.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Going everyday is good for habit forming but not good for your body. You need to rest and recover at some point or you'll break down. It's amazing that you haven't hurt yourself yet. If you took 5 days off I guarantee you'd be amazed at how fast and fresh you feel.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The strain on muscles and joints is why you need rest. As far as the chafing, running clothes and Body Glide can virtually eliminate these problems. Make the investment.

Setting up a punishing and completely unsustainable workout program like you've done is exactly why so many people fail. Do you really plan on running an hour a day for the next 20 years? Most likely you'll keep on slogging through it for as long as you can hold on, maybe reach some intermediate goal and then completely fall off the wagon.

I'd recommend working on coming up with a more sustainable routine. You should enjoy your workouts. It's fine to put yourself through a grueling session from time to time for a mental as well as physical challenge. But start building towards eating and exercise habits that can continue for the rest of your life. Reaching a goal is easy, it's maintaining that level afterwards that is so difficult.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Effective tedious and hard solutions are everywhere for changing your life and getting unfat. The fact that they are tedious and hard is why so many people stay obese.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Going everyday is good for habit forming but not good for your body. You need to rest and recover at some point or you'll break down. It's amazing that you haven't hurt yourself yet. If you took 5 days off I guarantee you'd be amazed at how fast and fresh you feel.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The strain on muscles and joints is why you need rest. As far as the chafing, running clothes and Body Glide can virtually eliminate these problems. Make the investment.

Setting up a punishing and completely unsustainable workout program like you've done is exactly why so many people fail. Do you really plan on running an hour a day for the next 20 years? Most likely you'll keep on slogging through it for as long as you can hold on, maybe reach some intermediate goal and then completely fall off the wagon.

I'd recommend working on coming up with a more sustainable routine. You should enjoy your workouts. It's fine to put yourself through a grueling session from time to time for a mental as well as physical challenge. But start building towards eating and exercise habits that can continue for the rest of your life. Reaching a goal is easy, it's maintaining that level afterwards that is so difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

while i agree with you in principle, i kind of feel like this is working for me and yes it is in some sense "grueling", but I'm finding it's getting easier as I go along. Also, If I am in pain I will often set the pace down as low as 4.0m/h.
THe point is that I don't think this is necessarily unsustainable and it works. You suggest taking "5 days off"
I don't think that would work for me.
I think I could do this for 20 years straight and I know that is a big statement but I like to think big. Running can actually be enjoyable and be a great physical and mental boost. If i am hurting, I will slow down to an easy enjoyable pace.

-g.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:25 AM

hey genius,
do you ever mix it up?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey genius,
do you ever mix it up?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, at first I thought you were busting his balls. Then I realized it really is his nick [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].