Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 08-23-2007, 05:21 AM

Default Zappa Plays Zappa - Anaheim

Probably not many FZ and Mothers fans around 2+2, but for those tasteful few you should check out ZPZ next time through your area. The last US show for a while is LA tonight, 8/23.

Dweezil spent a couple of years studying his father's music and improving his guitar playing and the results are outstanding. While his voice is nothing like FZ's (and he wisely doesnt try to affect it) his guitar playing is so close that when he plays a "duet" with FZ on video, if you close your eyes its hard to tell who is who.

The set list is heavy on FZ's bluesier side, with a couple of doses of orchestral/improv pieces. Ray White, one of the Mothers best touring vocalists, is still very strong and plays solid guitar sharing some leads with DZ.

Standouts were "Cozmik Debris", with video of Frank singing and playing with the live band "backing him up" and then DZ finishing it up on lead and "Indiana Enema Bandit", which I had never heard live before, was awesome.

The band was definitely up to the very difficult arrangements, and the only real miscues were during the sound check.

A highlight of the summer, along with Roger Waters, and, hopefully, Velvet Revolver next month.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Zappa Plays Zappa - Anaheim

I saw this show last month and it's probably one of the top 5 concerts I've ever seen. I'm a huge FZ fan, so I was really looking forward to this concert and it totally delivered. The band was one of the tightest I've ever heard, and I was really impressed by their ability to handle the more complicated numbers (Son of Suzy Creamcheese for example).

Dweezil opened the show with My Guitar Want to Kill your Mama and, while technically impressive, his vocals are just horrible. So I was thrilled when Ray White came out for vocals for the rest of the show.

Highlights were the Illinois Enema Bandit (I heard he's on the loooooooooose) and Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy. They also did a jam that featured each member of the band that was nothing short of mind-blowing.

I wasn't overly impressed with Ray White's guitar chops, but that isn't exactly his forte. His voice, on the other hand, sounds exactly like it did 30 years ago. The dude can sing.

I highly recommend anyone who can checks out this show. You won't regret it.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While his voice is nothing like FZ's (and he wisely doesnt try to affect it) his guitar playing is so close that when he plays a "duet" with FZ on video, if you close your eyes its hard to tell who is who.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really hard for me to believe. I used to be a big fan of Zappa's guitar-playing, though I haven't listened to that stuff for years. I always considered him instantly recognizable.

I'll have to seek this out.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw this show last month and it's probably one of the top 5 concerts I've ever seen. I'm a huge FZ fan, so I was really looking forward to this concert and it totally delivered. The band was one of the tightest I've ever heard, and I was really impressed by their ability to handle the more complicated numbers (Son of Suzy Creamcheese for example).

Dweezil opened the show with My Guitar Want to Kill your Mama and, while technically impressive, his vocals are just horrible. So I was thrilled when Ray White came out for vocals for the rest of the show.

Highlights were the Illinois Enema Bandit (I heard he's on the loooooooooose) and Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy. They also did a jam that featured each member of the band that was nothing short of mind-blowing.

I wasn't overly impressed with Ray White's guitar chops, but that isn't exactly his forte. His voice, on the other hand, sounds exactly like it did 30 years ago. The dude can sing.

I highly recommend anyone who can checks out this show. You won't regret it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the set list was pretty much the same as the recent shows, but they did one improvised blues number (at least I dont know it from the discography) with Ray White looking for an albino girl....there was a shrill screamer in the audience who had some exchanges with the band when DZ said he loved her scream, and an hour later she shows up in song.

The jam with DZ directing the band with hand motions was a FZ staple from the 70s concerts, and while DZ seemed to be "playing conductor" more than FZ WAS a conductor, the band did pull it off extremely well.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 PM

The only gripe I had with the show was DZ trying too hard to be like Frank. Throwing out things like "Great googly moogly" and what not. That disappointed me a bit. There is a little bit too much hero worship going on. Not that I blame him, but still...it kind of depressed me in a way. I never saw Frank live, but the experience kinda reminded me of seeing The Dead after Jerry died. They were like the best cover band ever, but the lack of the frontman almost brought it to a depressing level. Does that make sense?

Oh, and the chick (and I call her a chick not in a bad way, but if you saw her you'd know that she likely calls herself a chick) on keyboards and vocals was AMAZING. Killer voice and really grooved.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:16 AM

Actually i thought DZ was very restrained in not being "too Frank". He never tried to imitate his voice or mannerisms. Why would you expect him to skip one of the most famous lines in Zappadom?