Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Losing to substandard hands

I am sure this question has been addressed before. Why is it that I play high starting hands, 1st position group 1&2, middle add 3-5, and late add 5-7 sometimes 8. Refering to groups from hold'em for advanced players. These groups are being beaten my maniacs playing what I throw away. This seems to happen more often than not. Reading the article by Ray Zee, why it happens to me, he states to combine the two styles. Does anyone have good groups to do this ? Trying to improve my game. mark
Old 05-25-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Losing to substandard hands

If I loosen up in spots I usually like suited connecters like 67,89. Dont do it often or without thinking you will loosen up you starting hands without realizing it. If you play a hand like this I say to myself I am out of line just proceed carefully.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:38 AM

This question has too many layers.

I'll just give a simple answer that applies mostly to NL. Marginal starting hands have low value preflop compared to big hands. This should be obvious. So if you go all-in with AA vs. J9s, you will win most of the time. However, if J9s calls a raise and sees a flop vs. AA, sometimes those preflop percentages change drastically in favour of J9s. In other words, preflop, everyone has a certain pot equity based on the strength of their opening hand. However, the three cards on the flop change all the hand equities. This is where the trouble begins.

There could be trouble for big hands that are now way behind or their could be trouble of little hands that now look a lot better but are second best.

Preflop hand selection and play is important, but in NL how the flop is played is even more important, especially to guy who are playing marginal hands.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:08 PM

Play the players not the cards. Depending on position, take betting patterns and reads into consideration. How much is the pot? It's easier to play rags when everyone only calls the blind and you have passive players behind you.
If you stay strict to your playing standards, you become a lil' easier to read as far as when you will play. When that crap flop comes out, another player will know you're probably holding a bunch of over cards and try to push you out of the pot with a fat raise.