Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 12:15 AM

Default is Reno sweet?

I'm looking for somewhere to stay for a few months in the summer that has poker. I was thinking Reno could be a good place for July and August. They have a bunch of card rooms i see. Anyone know how the games are in comparrison to Vegas or LA or Phoenix?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: is Reno sweet?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for somewhere to stay for a few months in the summer that has poker. I was thinking Reno could be a good place for July and August. They have a bunch of card rooms i see. Anyone know how the games are in comparison to Vegas or LA or Phoenix?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your looking for limits that they spread in Reno (only low limit games the vast majority of time) then any of the above listed cities are equally good - low limit games between markets are rarely that different, the major difference comes between tables not rooms or markets.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 AM

i was there in 96 and 03. really impressed with the improvements they made...

however, all those other places are much better for poker, much better socially, more things to do... i might prefer reno in winter though...
Old 04-11-2007, 03:36 AM

Vegas and Phoenix are not pleasant places in July and August.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

neither is reno. I'd go to la, only reason to come to reno is cheap living expenses.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends whether you're going to spend your days in July and August spreading tar on an asphalt road or snoozing in airconditioned comfort from 10am to 6pm. I rather enjoy Vegas nights in the summer. But yeah, it's tough if you want to do outdoorsy things during the day (not that 100F midwest summer days with 80F dewpoints are actually better, mind you).
Old 04-11-2007, 08:54 PM

There are starting to be some good size NL games in Reno but not consistant. It is even worse for limit above 4/8. The Peppermill has a solid 10/20 w/1/2 kill but that is it. On a full moon we can get it up to 20/40.

I am planning to drive to the Bay area alot more this summer for 20/40 and above.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are starting to be some good size NL games in Reno but not consistant.

[/ QUOTE ]

What limits and where?

Also pls note if there was a tourney going on at same time.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:31 AM

Went to Reno this past weekend. There is a major bowling tournament being held there which I heard lasted like 5 months. I can not imagine this but apparently it is true.

Anyway, I hope the bowlers can bowl a lot better than they play poker. Great action at the El Dorado.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:28 AM

I went to Reno this last weekend myself. Ended up playing at Circus Circus's 2/4 and 3/6 limit games. What a joke. Wish I was still there. Easy money. Highlight of the night.

On the 2/4 table I was the button. Table is checked to me, I raise with A/K os. Blind folds. Some donkey old man leans over and gives me a stare that will kill a man and tells me "kids like you need to be put in their place" and then reraises me... hand is capped preflop and the old man is all in. Flop misses me.... river is a 2 and grampa flips over k/2os to take the hand. The table errupts in laughter at the old man but grampa thinks it's actually a cheer in his favor. 3 hands later he gives all his money to another fish and shuffles off talking to himself. That pretty much sums up the CC poker room. Good times indeed.