Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Italy\'s Example help at all?

What about some kind of overturn based on the "germaneness rule"? Two Reps called King out by asking what the Gaming Ban has to do with Port Security and he didn't have an answer. By law couldn't you say that it had absolutely no place in the bill?
Old 09-30-2006, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like EU rules was the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just the EU rules it's also the WTO. Now that you have this law the US is in even clearer breach of your WTO obligations. You will get fined and or have sanctions imposed for this - it is another way that you can put pressure on your government - complain to the WTO now that as a US consumer you want access to international gambling services and don't want to be forced to open a non US based bank account.

If poker is legal anywhere in the US it is a breach of WTO regulations to prevent people accessing foreign based providers. Same for sports betting.

http://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/...e/whatis_e.htm
Old 09-30-2006, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about some kind of overturn based on the "germaneness rule"? Two Reps called King out by asking what the Gaming Ban has to do with Port Security and he didn't have an answer. By law couldn't you say that it had absolutely no place in the bill?

[/ QUOTE ]

they argue that online-gambling can be used as a money-laundering mechanism for terrorism.
This helps it relate more closely to port-authority.

I don't know much about the legislative process nor the 'germaneness' law.
But I thoguht that totally ridiculous and stupid attachments that had absolutely nothing to do with the original bill got snuck in all the time.

In other words, it wouldn't have surprised me if the Port Authority bill also had some random pork-legislation piece at the end that dedicated $20-million to Wyoming to study the sturdyness of cowboy hats.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont see the religous right every allowing online poker to be legalized in the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luckily they don't get to decide
Old 09-30-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont see the religous right every allowing online poker to be legalized in the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luckily they don't get to decide

[/ QUOTE ]

They did though didn't they? And if you are talking about the WTO, hasn't the US typically laughed in their face?

On the crooks in congress:
We vote the senators in, and they are supposed to represent us, but instead they vote for things that are best for their cause.