Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Prop Bet Question

I'm trying to figure out a good handicap for a golf prop bet, and would love to hear some input from the experts.

I've never played golf before in my life, and the one time I tried to hit at a driving range the most distance I could put on it was like 100 yards with some nasty looking curve on it. My roommate, another 2p2er, plays golf avidly, has his own clubs, and spends money on golf club ownerships.

If we were to play against each other on a par 3 course, how many holes should I get? How much of a difference can it make whether it happens this fall (giving me no time to prepare) and this spring (giving me the winter). It would be my first time playing. I don't know his handicap and am fairly unathletic, I ran xc in high school but have next to no upper body strength at this point. I don't know how to swing a club or what the different clubs do, but I suppose I'd learn before taking this bet.

Considering he spends like 20 minutes a day practicing his swings with different clubs in front of my TV, I'd say he's pretty decent. How many swings should I get?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Prop Bet Question

I predict this will be very hard to define, but GoT and kyleb set up stuff similar to this so they may be able to help. In my long golf gambling career I don't think I've ever tried to handicap someone as bad as you. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2007, 08:37 PM

Yeah, this is near impossible, as your score would be almost impossible to determine accurately with all the chunks, whiffs, lost balls, etc. you will have while playing. I'd definitely practice first, play a couple times, find your average score, subtract from his average, and set that as a line.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 AM

Just bet hole by hole and adjust strokes depending on how it's going. There is no fair way to decide an 18 hole match based on what you know about your game.

And just because your buddy is into the game and swings his clubs 20 minutes a day doesn't mean he's good.
He may well be, but that isn't a good way to know either way.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just bet hole by hole and adjust strokes depending on how it's going. There is no fair way to decide an 18 hole match based on what you know about your game.

And just because your buddy is into the game and swings his clubs 20 minutes a day doesn't mean he's good.
He may well be, but that isn't a good way to know either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point... I've seen many young, avid golfers who look like they practice all the time that nonetheless suck.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:35 AM

Here's the lazy man's handicapping formula for this match.

You get 2 shots on the first hole.
The loser of each hole gets and additional 1/2 shot.

So, if you win the first hole, you'll get 1 1/2 shots on the second, and so forth.

Otherwise,
things that could even the match a bit:

He plays with one club.
You get a mulligan on each hole.
You don't count whiffs (yeah, that's right, whiffs [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img])
You get to throw it whenever you choose.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:54 AM

His roommate is decent and knows what he's doing.

Id say fair would be roommate needs to win 16 holes outright to win the bet, 14 to 16 is a push, and under 14 and pennpal wins. I think you should also look for a match play format like this one and not stroke play because he will not blow up and make worse than a 5 while you easily could.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You get 2 shots on the first hole.
The loser of each hole gets and additional 1/2 shot.

So, if you win the first hole, you'll get 1 1/2 shots on the second, and so forth.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is along the lines of what first popped into my head. I was going to recommend starting the line at 3.5 strokes/hole and moving it a full stroke toward the loser. It prob depends a lot of the course though. The only par3 course I've played at was riddled with water and and hills and sand, which would suck if you can never hit a green. If it's flat and not much water, OP won't be in horrible shape.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:09 AM

If this is a avg par 3 (100-200 yrd holes par 54) then he'll probably shoot about 63 and you'll shoot around 98.

let us know the final result
Old 10-27-2007, 07:54 PM

some further ideas to even the gap---

If the course isn't too busy---

He has to hit every ball twice, and play the worst shot of the two, including putts.

or

You get to hit every shot twice and play the best one.

or both---