Any Leaf fans here?

Represent.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Official NHL 2006-07 Regular Season Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Any Leaf fans here?

Represent.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have asked before that travesty of a third period last night.

But, yes. Pudge too.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:14 PM

Ryan Smyth Breaks wayne greztky's record for quickest three goals hat trick

Nice comeback victory
Old 10-13-2006, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ryan Smyth Breaks wayne greztky's record for quickest three goals hat trick In Oiler History.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-13-2006, 05:18 PM

Quack Quack. At least 1 Anaheim team will make the playoffs this year
Old 10-13-2006, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's OK guys, you can give up now. The Sharks WILL win the cup this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im suprised that no one has mentioned the Sharks. Youngest, Heaviest, and 4 tallest team in the NHL. Has 2 superstars and 2 no 1 goalies. After watching them play the first three games they have clearly been the better team. Their speed is going to mean a lot of penalties, and Thorton is scary on the PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 of a good thing is not better than 1 when that thing is an NHL netminder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Riiiiiiiiiiiight... because the Sens and Preds loved having only one true starter last year in the playoffs. Who wants to start Nabokov or Toskala when they have youngster Emery or the 30-year-old-AHLer Mason?

I'd be willing to bet both of those teams would rather have Nabby/Toskala as a back up over Emery/Mason. Plus, having 2 #1's means you can trade 1 without destroying your team.

Look at Buffalo, they didn't throw away Biron just because they found Miller. Same with Anaheim... they kept Bryz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having 2 number one goalies is an unnecessary luxury, especially in the salary cap era. Both San Jose and Anaheim would love to ditch their high priced backup/starters. The Sabres should too - they made a giant mistake keeping Martin Biron. No one wants Martin Biron at that price so he's stuck on the Sabres' roster all year - by the time he does become valuable at the trade deadline, the Sabres may as well retain him.

You don't ask if they would rather have Toskala or Biron or Bryzgalov over Emery or Mason - you ask if they would rather have Nabokov or Paul Kariya, or Gigeure or Dany Heatley. Having one excellent starter is always preferable to having 2 solid guys - now it's even more true with the salary cap.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ryan Smyth Breaks wayne greztky's record for quickest three goals hat trick In Oiler History.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did it have to be Smyth? God he is a stringy haired rat faced douche. He doesn't belong in the same room with 99. Grrrrr.

What does everyone think about the new 'Season has started' commercials? Aside from playing during HOCKEY GAMES (if I am watching the game, I realize the season has started!), they are strangely amusing.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:24 PM

Buffalo keeping Biron for the playoffs last year made sense. Sure in hindsight, having an extra dman would've been great for game 7- but miller was semi-struggling down the stretch before the playoffs. I also dont think vancouver or edmonton were offering much.

As for since the playoffs, i just dont think there are enough teams with goalie needs that wanted to give up a draft pick or prospect for a decent, but not great goalie.

The amount of quality goalies in the league make a biron as valueable as a #4 dman, imo.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Noone is talking about the Minnesota Wild....yet.

Obviously we are lucky to be 4-0, but we look real good this year. Lemaire has always coaxed the maximum out of our meager talent, this year we still have the discipline and the teamwork but now we have skill and speed. We finally have a legit first line with the Slovaks and Pierre Marc-Bouchard has been very impressive so far. Our PP unit has looked good as well...8-23 so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's still early. The Wild had a great start last year too and finished out of the playoffs. They definitely have an improved team this year, but don't expect Demitra to actually play the whole season and you don't have a reliable backup anymore. The Northwest is going to be tight as always though.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buffalo keeping Biron for the playoffs last year made sense. Sure in hindsight, having an extra dman would've been great for game 7- but miller was semi-struggling down the stretch before the playoffs. I also dont think vancouver or edmonton were offering much.

As for since the playoffs, i just dont think there are enough teams with goalie needs that wanted to give up a draft pick or prospect for a decent, but not great goalie.

The amount of quality goalies in the league make a biron as valueable as a #4 dman, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keeping him last year was good.

Giving him a qualifying offer at 2.1 million dollars this summer was foolishness. He's not worth that much money to anyone, most of all the Sabres. They could have let him go UFA and tried to sign him for 1.2 million or thereabouts. They could've tried to sign a backup from another team. - though I admit not that many were available. Still, I feel Darcy Regier continues to mis-manage the Buffalo crease.