Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 12:16 AM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Am I a tard for not wanting to go to grad school?

My back story: I am in my junior year right now, and should graduate on time despite missing a semester (AP credits FTW!). My GPA right now is about 3.2, but it's been a rough semester and it'll probably be around 2.95 once the dust settles. From what I can tell from what I have to take to graduate, my final GPA is likely to be in that neighborhood (2.8-3.1). I'm scheduled to graduate from undergrad studies with a mathematics degree in May of '09...

...and I want to be DONE.

I gotta be honest--I am completely exhausted with education. What I want to do from here on out is finish up my requirements, take maybe one or two graduate level math courses my senior year, and hit the career center starting this winter. (I was planning on getting a preliminary resume pulled together no later than the upcoming winter break, and maybe over the Thanksgiving break.) I want to focus on getting employment after graduation.

So, we come upon the question that I presented in the title. Many of the other math majors here are going to grad school. I have given no thought to even applying, since a) a sub-3.0 GPA doesn't seem to impress anyone, and b) I'm not sure if I even want to go to grad school. If I'm so worn from undergrad studies, it just doesn't make that much sense to me to go to grad school, since I know that a master's requires more commitment than just a bachelor's.

So, am I a sucker for wanting to get a job after school's over? Is a B.Sci in math still useful? I am getting a lot of pressure from people like professors to go to grad school; my family seems fine with me leaving school with a bachelor's. The average starting salary for math majors from my school is pretty good (around $45K a year in 2003, which is the most recent year I can immediately obtain).

Also, would getting an internship for the summer significantly change the tard-iness of employment?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Am I a tard for not wanting to go to grad school?

I'm not going to grad school.

I'm an Econ major though. If that makes a difference.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:53 AM

I'm not going to grad school, Econ major also.

I've been in the college system since Jan. 2002. I was pulled out of school 2 times for deployments and once for the police academy. I just want to be done so I can start making some money. I can always go back to school in the future if I choose to, but I highly doubt I will.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:09 AM

What are you planning on going into with an econ major?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are you planning on going into with an econ major?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that directed towards me?

If not, I'll answer anyways.

I'm a police officer right now, have a full-time job lined up as soon as another position opens, thinking about applying to some sports organizations to see what I can get into it, would like to start my own business. I have an idea for a business right now, but with the economy of my hometown, I don't know if it'll work.

Other than that, I have no idea because the prospects of working for other people doesn't appeal to me, although, I have never started my own business and am very unsure of myself. Now may be the best time to take some risks.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 AM

Grad school isn't for most people that get a bachelors. I've experienced the graduate level econ here, and it is much more difficult and requires a significant time commitment that doesn't compare to undergrad. You need to have strong direction and internal motivation if you are going to succeed in graduate school. It really won't be like staying in school for X more years as an undergrad. Any respectable program will be the equivalent of a full time job.

It seems to me that from what you wrote, grad school is not what would be best for you.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The average starting salary for math majors from my school is pretty good (around $45K a year

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not intended to be rude, but thinking that $45k/yr is "pretty good" is shocking. I would dread a conversation where i had to tell a student s/he would only make $45k/yr.

Having said that, you should not go to grad school if you're not ready or don't want to. It's hard enough when you want it. Also, your GPA is a problem.

So perhaps you should take a job, see how it goes for a year or so, and then decide whether or not grad school is for you.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:22 AM

? how is 45k/yr not a really good salary right out of undergrad?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-15-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, right? My starting salary will be 30k/yr... But, I'm going to be a teacher, so I knew what I was getting into there.

Also, in agreement with everyone else, don't go to grad school if you don't want to. Get a job somewhere, make money, and if you want to go back to school, there's a chance that your company will pay for you to go back.