Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Is This Cheating?

If you see extra cards (other than your own) without other players in the hand also seeing them, you have an unfair advantage over them -- it's cheating.

The heart of the "game" of poker requires that you not know the other player's hole cards. That's why the FTOP says "IF you knew your opponent's cards". Actually knowing their cards ruins the game.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No to both

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-22-2007, 10:06 AM

What about: the dealer thinks s/he may have partially revealed a burn card, so asks the table: "did anyone see that?" Nobody answers, although the person in seat 1 clearly saw that it was the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on a flop of (K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) when he has T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in his hand. 6 people in the pot. Is he cheating? What about when the 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] comes on the turn, and someone bets representing the nut flush?

How is this different than if the player 1 saw the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] from player 2 rather than the dealer -- if it's player 3 that is representing the nut flush he doesn't have?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you see extra cards (other than your own) without other players in the hand also seeing them, you have an unfair advantage over them -- it's cheating.

The heart of the "game" of poker requires that you not know the other player's hole cards. That's why the FTOP says "IF you knew your opponent's cards". Actually knowing their cards ruins the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was heads up play otherwise, yes it would be cheating.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The glasses scenario is clearly cheating. Down cards are not to be exposed to anyone but the person dealt those cards. That is why they are dealt face down. If these cards are being exposed without the player's knowledge, he should be informed so that the game can resume in the state it was meant to be played. He should not bear an extra disadvantage of having his down cards exposed just because he is an idiot. Preventing your cards from being exposed is not supposed to be one of the skills involved in playing the game.

The artery scenario is clearly not cheating. Nowhere within the rules of the game is it implied that the mannerisms of your opponents are to be masked and hidden, whether or not your opponent willfully exhibits those mannerisms. Preventing people from accurately discerning what you are thinking through the mannerisms you exhibit is supposed to be one of the skills involved in playing the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn,t the artery senario in a way exposing his cards? I do not believe either one is "cheating" I would inform someone that I could see the cards in their glasses, but I would never expect someone to tell me.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn,t the artery senario in a way exposing his cards?

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless his arteries are communicating the cards via morse code, I don't see how. Poker is a game of uncertainty -- pulsing arteries might give you some information, but it's not certain. Seeing someone's cards is certain.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:48 PM

What if youre playing against a blind guy and you tell him that his straight flush is really just ace high and he lost the pot? And then you take his $1000 chips instead of his $50 chips?

Is this cheating?
Old 03-23-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if youre playing against a blind guy and you tell him that his straight flush is really just ace high and he lost the pot? And then you take his $1000 chips instead of his $50 chips?

Is this cheating?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:10 PM

I can't believe there are so many people who don't think this is cheating. The level or moral development is so low amongst the people posting on this forum that it makes me glad to be playing against such--for lack of a better word--stupid people, but at the same time it worries me. Ask yourself: could these actions be willed to everyone at the table? (i.e. what if everyone at the table saw everyone's cards through his/her glasses?) Then it wouldn't be poker.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe there are so many people who don't think this is cheating. The level or moral development is so low amongst the people posting on this forum that it makes me glad to be playing against such--for lack of a better word--stupid people, but at the same time it worries me. Ask yourself: could these actions be willed to everyone at the table? (i.e. what if everyone at the table saw everyone's cards through his/her glasses?) Then it wouldn't be poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like the immanuel kant logic of right and wrong. ask yourself this question:

is it wrong to drive through red lights and stop at green lights?

what if everybody on the road was to do this?