Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 08:20 AM

Default Re: 100 NL: Is this really the best way to play AKs?

[ QUOTE ]
1) Someone provide math or I'll do it after work for the case that CO will only call with AA/KK and the blinds do not act at all

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think this is a good assumption. IF his 4-bet range is AK/JJ+/air, he will fold air 100% but not AK/QQ/JJ. Just don't think he'll 4-bet/fold strong hands in steal situations that often, even though he'll fold these hands some portion.

[ QUOTE ]
2) For the sake of argument discuss calling the 4bet, calling the raise and folding to the 4bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Calling the raise is ok during the right circumstances, but not often at 100nl. I just can't ever see calling the 4-bet being correct, our implied odds when we hit is not good, eg if we hit a flop of Kxx QQ/JJ might be able to get away while AA/KK always will stack us. And we like to see 5 cards. If we think his 4-betting range is wide enough we should just get it in, otherwise we fold.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:23 AM

Yeah the assumption was just made to show if the raise is profitable vs a given range if he'll only call with a certain %age of that range.
It sounded like OP "complained" that "they only call when i'm beat" and thus I'd like to point out that this is not neccessaryly a bad thing.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing is standard, it all depends on villains.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I should have said this way to play the hand is standard imo given the information you've provided on your opponents, meaning this is the way you should play the hand the majority of the time but not always as you need to mix up your game sometimes vs thinking players.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, this is what we mean when we use the words "standard" on the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I agree.
I just happen to teach poker to some friends at the time and they alway like to ask for "standard" plays and I get the feeling that they are likely to prefer the standard line over thinking situational ("going on autopilot"). Happens to me all the time so I just felt like pointing it out. The intention was not to mock anyone so sorry if it sounded like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not at all. But I've seen alot of people going off at people saying something is standard thinking it's an insult, but imo it's just like saying you played the hand correct given the info you had.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:28 PM

I think the word 'standard' is kind of confusing here. If by standard you mean readless, then I think folding to the 4-bet is proper at stakes < $400 and maybe even at $400. Most people are just nits or fish, both of whom are basically never 4-betting remotely light. And even if villain is a good player who can have more than KK/AA/AK in his range here, against an unknown (hero) he probably will still just be 4-betting monsters for the most part.

By the other meaning of standard, a common situation against a reasonable, but not outstanding, opponent - I completely agree with shoving preflop here assuming your own image is decent / not nitty. Just a matter of semantics I suppose.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:31 PM

I think that this is fine. If you are pulling this move though - you will want to stay at the table as long as you can afterwards. I play AK suited here like this often and will get called down with even 10-10, AQ type hands and I am playing $100NL or $200NL at poker stars.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:35 PM

TT/AQ are rarely 4-betting at $100 or $200 at Stars.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:39 PM

If my AK gets 3bet, I've been 4bet shoving for the FE. If my 3bet with AK gets 4bet, given no read I've been folding simply to reduce variance because I am tilt-prone. Don't know if this strategy is a leak.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say they were - I said people have definitely called 4 bets vs me with those marginal hands. Not every day - but if you throw in AK and QQ, with KK and AA, this is a good play.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say they were - I said people have definitely called 4 bets vs me with those marginal hands. Not every day - but if you throw in AK and QQ, with KK and AA, this is a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reread the hand (I think many people are misreading it). Hero is the one getting 4-bet.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reread the hand (I think many people are misreading it). Hero is the one getting 4-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on - my b - but I still push :-). AQ is a huge stretch as is 10-10, but people are calling with QQ, KK, AA, and AK in an equal frequency, IMO.