Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-26-2007, 03:00 AM

Default Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

[ QUOTE ]
If Ferentz goes 8-4 people are going to be instantly grumbling about "Lloyd part II". Fair or not, this is how it goes down, and people will be calling for his head the instant something goes wrong (such as having him hired in the first place).

[/ QUOTE ]

Like you said, people are going to call him "Lloyd Part II" the moment he gets hired. Seems like every Michigan blog/message board I've read so far has a large contingent of fans prepared for 15 or so years of 8-4 seasons if Ferentz is hired; so like you also said, Ferentz will get absolutely no grace period from Michigan fans, but will surely get endless votes of confidence from those who matter: namely the administration and the athletic department. I can't think of any entity *less* responsive to the desires of its fans than the University of Michigan football program. Ferentz will get at least 5 years to prove himself, and probably more, given that the administration was apparently thrilled with everything Lloyd had been doing. So regardless of how much Michigan fans hate this hire -- and most will hate it -- and regardless of how mediocre the team is on the field -- Michigan is nothing if not devoted. If hired, Ferentz won't be going anywhere for a while short of some embarrassing public transgression. Getting owned by OSU, losing to I-AA teams, and finishing unranked 2 out of 3 years probably won't be a cause for concern in the AD if recent history is any barometer.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:06 AM

Here's a current theory of what could be happening here.

Bill Martin uses the mgoblog source to leak information about about Kirk Ferentz becoming the coach. People give their reactions and Bill Martin can gauge the reactions of the donors, alumni, etc... I don't know if this is what happening, but it's possible.

I don't want Ferentz especially with the other candidates that are up for the job. The 3-6 record against Iowa State worries me because that means we might start losing games to Michigan State.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:37 AM

I will say that there are many good things about the AD ignoring fans, since by nature most of our demands are hysterical and excessive, even if there is some truth at the core of them. That being said, this would be atrocious and hiring a guy the fanbase is lukewarm about (and that's being very generous) is not going to lead to good things.

I am firmly (albeit temporarily) in the "This isn't true" camp, as too much doesn't make sense, MGoBrian's source notwithstanding. Urge to kill: fading...
Old 11-26-2007, 12:13 PM

MGoBlog just updated about this, with nothing good at all. Tall building time for sure if this is true.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:24 PM

Hiring Ferentz would be hilarious. He just got fired from Iowa for being horrible and now UM is considering hiring him haha. Sad times at Michigan right now.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hiring Ferentz would be hilarious. He just got fired from Iowa.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf are you talking about? Go away.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:34 PM

Default BREAKING NEWS

Don't worry, Michigan fans, it could be worse.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:35 PM

I was wrong, you guys were right. It is possible to do a lot worse than Les Miles. Anyway, thanks for the distraction for Miles.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:06 PM

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde...ranted_to.html

"Rumors are flying today that Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz has been offered the job at the University of Michigan, where he is considered a candidate to replace the retiring Lloyd Carr.

If so, that's news to Iowa sports information director Phil Haddy. According to Haddy, Michigan has not even requested permission from Iowa athletic director Gary Barta to speak with Ferentz."

------

Breathing a little easier now.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know the Ferentz hire obviously isn't anywhere near confirmed, but if it becomes official, I'm going to have a hard time preventing myself from vomiting when that narrative rears its ugly head, and provides all the Lloyd and Bill Martin apologists a justification and defense for taking all of 6 days to hire a guy who's 11-13 in the Big Ten since 2005: "but he'll run a clean program" and "he's so classy, just like Lloyd" they'll all say. And when we're 8-4 year after year and headed to the Outback and Alamo Bowl, the "clean program" and "classy guy" narrative will give never-ending cover for continued stagnation, complacency, and mediocrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you post on the UM Rivals site, but there is one guy that captures what you wrote: BayAreaWolverine. I quit posting there over a year ago because I couldn't take it anymore. No matter how legitimate a criticism I or anyone else had regarding Carr, Herrmann, DeBord etc.. it was this guy's job (and a few others like him) to attack anyone who dares to criticize our coaches.

BayAreaWolverine's post on rivals.com today was classic. I had to share:

"I wouldn't mind English getting the job. I still don't think I've seen a serious candidate mentioned out here that I wouldn't be OK with. It kicks ass not to be stressed about it just sit back and go "cool, who's it going to be?"

When you talk about so many UM fans conditioned to accept mediocrity, this man is their patron saint.