Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 08:19 AM

Default 1/2NL live: turned str8, but there\'s a flush out there!

<font color="blue">Villain in hand is normally regarded as a pretty tight player, although I know he makes some rather marginal calls preflop, and sometimes postflop. But, usually when I see him bet, he has the goods. Haven't seen him bluff too often. </font>

7-handed game. Villain's stack is about 500. I cover.
I'm in the SB with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] . Folds to button, who limps. I complete. Villain checks.

Flop 3way (6): A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check. Villain checks. Button bets 6. I call. Villain calls.
<font color="blue">I checked with the intention of playing a small pot and seeing if I could hit my hand for free. After button bets, I really wanted to c/r and take down the pot right there and drive off the FDs or other random hands. However, I just took button in a big pot earlier by making a hero call, so I think he's out to get me and might call my raise lightly. </font>

Turn 3way (24): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet 20. Villain calls. Button folds.
<font color="blue">Villain's call really confused me here. I'm leading out repping a flush, and he just smooth calls with that much behind? Not only that, but he called pretty quickly. In my haste, I thought for sure he must have a flush and was trying to trap button along. </font>

River HU (64): T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check. Villain bets 50. I fold.
<font color="blue">It was hard for me to put villain on a hand since he didn't raise the turn. I was thinking my str8 should be good, but the fact that he called the turn shows some strength. In hindsight, maybe I should have thought about it more before folding. </font>

Who makes the call here? Is there another way I should play this hand?
Old 11-24-2007, 09:01 AM

Default Re: 1/2NL live: turned str8, but there\'s a flush out there!

Sorry but I have to call the river here. Not sure how good your read is on villain but in my experience online players are a lot nittier than the 1/2 live players. It sucks that his bet size is so big. I probably play this the same, but lead the river with a half psb (about 30). Then see what he does. If he comes over the top I would feel a lot safer about laying down the straight.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:49 PM

Bet the flop, or c/f the flop. Drawing to 6 non-flush outs OOP is -EV IMO. I usually bet $5 at the flop.

As played, I think you should bet/fold the river. Bet $30. I don't think he'll raise without a high flush. But he might call with 2-pair.

But if you check, then you need to c/c since villain could easily have 2-pair and think his hand is good, or even a KhXx hand that missed his draw and is bluffing.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:00 PM

Wow, c/f this river is sooo bad. When you check the river, he's value betting/bluffing with a lot of weaker hands. If you want to fold so bad, at least b/f next time.