Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 10:48 PM

Default wtf am I doing?

So after my first 5.5k hands at .5/1 6max I'm down like 160bbs. A lot of it's just me vomiting money in marginal spots. I'll dig up some better examples later, but this hand happened at the end of my session, so it's fresh on my mind.

Villain was fairly new, and seemed a bit fishy. He's not drooling on his keyboard or anything, but he's loose, and a bit passive.

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">hero bets</font>, BB calls.
Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">hero bets</font>, BB calls.
River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5BB, 2 players)
hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, hero calls.
Results:
Final pot: 7BB
Old 09-11-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: wtf am I doing?

[ QUOTE ]
He's not drooling on his keyboard or anything, but he's loose, and a bit passive

[/ QUOTE ]

this says nothing about the player ... you must decide if you think your opponent will bet in this spot with a worse hand than your vs betting a made hand

IMO - when a passive bets the river when I check I let it go ... if it happens more than once I'll look him up ...

or you might want to try to sexy the river the next time you are in the same spot (make sure you have have a made hand [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

just look at the board - think about what the guy is calling with and if he'll bet 'whatever' on the river when you check ...
Old 09-11-2007, 10:53 PM

it's not really terrible, but against a loose passive you're beat here most all of the time on the river. it's probably not this kind of hand that made it 160 bets unless you call down ace high every time. also 160 bb at 6m is nothing esp if you're learning. hang in there.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:56 PM

standard spot--c/f the river
Old 09-11-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf am I doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

showing down A hi too much is my first guess. take that out of your game and see what your winrate does. especially agianst unknowns. save those for when you have a good read. I did and am quite happy.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's not really terrible, but against a loose passive you're beat here most all of the time on the river. it's probably not this kind of hand that made it 160 bets unless you call down ace high every time. also 160 bb at 6m is nothing esp if you're learning. hang in there.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know 160bb is relatively minor, but I wasn't confident in my 6max game to start with, and I don't want to wait until it gets to 500+ before I realize I'm not doing things right.

It's especially frustrating because so much of it is read-based. I have no clue if my reads are right, and my opponents are just picking up hands in the upper part of their range, or if I'm off completely.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf am I doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

showing down A hi too much is my first guess. take that out of your game and see what your winrate does. especially agianst unknowns. save those for when you have a good read. I did and am quite happy.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about small pairs? For example, replace hero's hand with 55 or A6. How much more showdown value does this have than ace high?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:33 PM

move down a level if the money affects you, until you get confident with your game
Old 09-11-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
move down a level if the money affects you, until you get confident with your game

[/ QUOTE ]
I lost 100bb at 1/2 over 2k hands, which is why I'm at .5/1 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

The money doesn't bother me much at this level. I just don't know if I'm playing right and getting raped by variance, or if I suck, and I don't want to play 50k hands to find out, if that can be helped.

Like I said, I'll post more hands and keep studying.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 PM

yea and feel free to post in the shorthanded forum too, not that several of us can't help you or post there also (bc we do) but there's a bigger higher-playing pool there for the most part. sign up for the session reviews here and there and i'll give you 6m guys here.