Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 11:33 PM

Default New Player

Sorry if this is in a wrong forum or im not suppose to be posting these questions here. Well im a newer player i understand the game but i just recently started playing pretty serious and trying to learn more. I love the game and i really want to elevate my game. My question is i know that there are so many books out there to read and i was looking for some suggestions on which ones might help me most or where i could look to help myself become a better player... Thank you for any help
Old 08-13-2007, 12:12 AM

Default Re: New Player

If you are super duper new the begginers forum might be a place to get your feet wet. I think the standard answer to what book to read is Small Stakes Hold 'Em (I hope that is what SSHE translates to, it's been a while since I've looked).

If you want to stick around read the FAQ and be more willing to read other people's hand posting and put your 2 cents in there than starting your own threads. When you do start your own threads make sure you do it with enough time to be the 3rd or 4th respondant to the thread to answer the questions the responders are sure to bring up.

Your goal is to learn how to think about poker, not to just learn some rote formula's and rules of thumb.

Have fun.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:13 AM

New player here also. Sometimes they call me a muppet and puke on the threads where I post hands for advice. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I recommend Small Stakes Hold em, by Miller,Sklansky,Malmuth, and Internet Texas Holdem, by Matthew Hilger.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:00 AM

Alex, I can't always promise we'll be polite about it (in fact I can pretty much guarantee the opposite) but if you can handle the "tough love" nature of this forum and stick with it there are people here who can teach you an awful lot.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alex, I can't always promise we'll be polite about it (in fact I can pretty much guarantee the opposite) but if you can handle the "tough love" nature of this forum and stick with it there are people here who can teach you an awful lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I like this place. And of course, am learning a ton. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2007, 01:05 AM

do not read right now ...

Small Stakes Hold'em
or
Theory of Poker

perhaps start with a book that a little weak-tight ...
like Lee Jones' Winning Low Limit Hold'em
it will save you money and prevent you from noobie spewing

best of all ... post some thoughts on a thread and have someone yell at you
Old 08-13-2007, 10:59 AM

I'd read Getting Started in Hold'em by Ed Miller first.

And then Small Stakes Hold'em.

After I've read those three or four times (especially Small Stakes Hold'em) then I'd go to Theory of Poker, Holdem for Advanced Players, etc.

Edit: It would help to read some of the poker psychology books, too. I've read and liked The Poker Mindset. Also, Your Worst Poker Enemy is pretty good, also.

Doc
Old 08-13-2007, 11:20 AM

I would read (and study) in the following order:

Winning at Low Limit Hold'Em (3rd. Edition) - Lee Jones
Internet Texas Hold'Em - M. Hilger
SSHE - Ed. Miller & Co.

Also have a look at the micro limit library here, which contains a lot of very good threads.

I am assuming that you intend to play low stakes limit Hold'em, and that is why you posted here. I would suggest not jumping into NL cash games if you are a new player !

Good luck, and welcome to this forum. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]