Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Pest Control - Ant infestation

I moved into a new flat on the first of this month - and among a couple other problems it turns out we have an infestation of garden ants.

Basically there are hundreds of the [censored], both normal ones and winged. They are coming out of under the bath and ive killed over a hundred yesterday when i first saw them but basically it seems it was a small dent in the colony.

Does anyone have any products to recommend? Should i just get straight onto my landlady who can get rentokil or someone like that in to have it done professionally or something else?

Im no expert - but from a bit of googling it seems that having winged ones means there is a full on colony/nest and that simply spraying over the counter crap wouldnt be enough. Basically it would take some poison bait traps etc if i were to do it myself.

Anyone know what sort of cost it would be if i got this done professionally - frankly id rather pay someone to do it rather than have to dick around with bait etc - but since i moved in less than 4 weeks ago i guess its my landlady who is responsible? From what little i know its generally her responsibility anyway but since its such a short period of time she basically has no option but to pay instead of passing the cost on to us?

Anyway - im sure its obvious ive never had to deal with stuff like this before - its not my first rented place but its the first pest problem ive had.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Pest Control - Ant infestation

[ QUOTE ]
Should i just get straight onto my landlady who can get rentokil or someone like that in to have it done professionally or something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yes.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM

totally obvious, yes
Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM

In skimming this, I read "rentokil" as "rickroll," and I wondered how that was going to get rid of the ants.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:57 PM

It sounds more like carpenter ants and it's probably a safe bet to assume there is a water leak somewhere around the bath. More than likely, you will need to hire a pro because they will probably need to use a foam or gas type pesticide to get to the nest.

I would also guess the landlord should be responsible to take care of and pay for fixing this problem.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:58 PM

Obviously, try to get your landlord to take care of the problem if you can. An exterminator is obviously the most effective option, but also the most costly. Sprays are occasionally effective, as it shuts out one entrance route for the ants, but if the ants are pretty well established they will find another way in. Make sure you don't have any food sources lying around for the ants. Ant baits are good in theory - they're supposed to deliver the poison to the nest + kill off the ants at the source. However, ants totally ignore most of the brands I've tried. The one notably exception is the "Enforcer" brand - ants go crazy for these, and they seem to do a good job of wiping out the problem in a few to several days. Most stores don't carry it, though, so I get them off the internet.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:03 PM

in order to give proper advice we obviously need ms paint of the situation

for instance:
if this is the problem

a simple

would work

on the other hand, if you have

you may have to

Old 07-26-2007, 02:03 PM

Fwiw, im in the UK if it helps narrow down any answers.

I was planning on telling my housemate Mike to ring the landlady tomorrow (i dont have her number) and basically see where the cards fall.

I guess this answer was kind of obvious.

Out of curiosity anyone know what sort of prices these guys charge?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:56 PM

Call these guys. I'm sure they can figure something out.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:00 PM

I'd probably call Kurosh first. Insects of all kinds stand no chance when he really gets his blood up.