Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 03:03 PM

Default A beg. thing I recalled from last year

Maybe this can help out anyone a bit. This was playing online but I apply it to live play now.

Early last year, I had jumped into playing Seven card stud on line, I think it was on Stars. It was around .50/1 or 1/2 7CS. I thought I was playing pretty well. I would play my premium pair hands hard on 3rd street but I would play all my draw hands the same way: Never bet them and just call with them till I hit them then I would pump it up as much as possible. A Very weak and predictable way to play for a lot of hands. In this session I was hitting a few of the draw hands here and there. Nobody said anything to me at all except one guy who had a good amount of $. Right after I hit a str8 going HU with him, he typed in, "Great play there dude, way to never bet your draws" I thought, this guy is an idiot and clearly doesn't know what he is talking about because I just won the pot. I didn't reply at all to him. This session just recently popped back into my head as I have been playing a lot of LHE live lately where I play a lot of my draws very agg. and not very passively like I used to do in 7cs back then. This guy who chatted to me online didn't know it, but he was actually giving me a great tip but I was was too newb to know it. In fact, this guy was partly instrumental in helping me to develope into a more agg player later on.

Just thought I'd share this & hope this may help anyone with questions or comments about being too pasive vs. being a tight more aggressive type of a player or anything else they might gain from my weak,passive, calling type of play back then.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: A beg. thing I recalled from last year

It's an excellent play. If you miss the draw, a poor player might misread you as playing wildly, leading to many more calls for you.