Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2007, 12:30 AM

Default What was wrong with the PPT?

Why does it look like this show is going out? I must have missed something, I thought it was cool and a step foward for poker.

Wasn't it a freeroll? I thought it was cool they were making it more like golf, where you had to qualify and then all those commercials and advertisements (Degree All-In Moment) made up the prize pool.

There's another thread about turning the player of the year race into more of a big deal, each major tournament broadcasting updates and there being some kind of big prize or freeroll at the end. The game within the game, like Nascar and like the PGA is just rolling out. The PPT would have been a great format for something like that.

There are enough great and entertaining pros that I enjoyed just watching them instead of watching final tables with two pros and a bunch of guys i'd never seen before and would never see again. The fact taht anybody can win it is okay, but that doesn't make it more entertaining for me. If we end up with a WSOP ME final table with players nobody has ever heard of next year, how popular will that be?

The biggest part of spectator sports is having someone to root for, having favorites. Every Nascar race your favorite driver is there and has a chance. The PGA is more like the PPT where your one favorite guy might not be in contention everyweek, but he's got a reasonable shot to get there (as opposed to having to fight through 8000 people) and even if he isn't you're guaranteed to have atleast one guy in contention that is a secondary favorite. (If X can't win it then I want Y to.)

You could still qualify to get on the tour based on money winnings in other tournaments and so fowarth, so it isn't biased in such a way that up and coming players don't have their chance.

Anyway, I thought it was cool.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: What was wrong with the PPT?

Mark Seif
Old 01-28-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mark Seif

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

The announcers were TERRIBLE! I could have done better and I suck at poker! lol
Old 01-28-2007, 12:57 AM

the announcers are awful.

the way it's shown is terrible.

if it was shown like poker after dark, it'd be ok. Instead they hop from table to table seeing every all-in..
Old 01-28-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

if it was shown like poker after dark, it'd be ok. Instead they hop from table to table seeing every all-in..

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I've watched PAD and it sucks, too. The announcer guy never talks. He kind of says what the action is, but he doesn't ever really comment on hands or play or anything. It's kind of boring. Of course, it's usually when I am going to sleep; so I want him to at least tell me what hands the guys/girls have so I don't have to look up every two seconds.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:35 AM

worst poker tv show i have seen. made wpt look emmy worthy.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I've watched PAD and it sucks, too. The announcer guy never talks. He kind of says what the action is, but he doesn't ever really comment on hands or play or anything. It's kind of boring. Of course, it's usually when I am going to sleep; so I want him to at least tell me what hands the guys/girls have so I don't have to look up every two seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that the announcer/commentator doesn't say much. It allows you to hear a lot more of the pros conversation, which is infinitely more entertaining and interesting.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mark Seif

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-28-2007, 02:44 AM

There just wasn't enough at stake. They would have been better having 50k buyins with 250k added. Too many schmucks were playing and it sort of killed the myth that the big names draw people. If any thing the PPT proves that the WPT can make a star of anyone. At least it could, now the WSOP can but its only one tournament.

Poker needs 4 majors for 50k that are NL Holdem.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:44 AM

The announcers on the PPT were terrible.

The poker hands were interesting to watch.

I think the concept was a good idea. I think the biggest problem I have heard is that the WPT grossly overestimated the dollars they could get selling the PPT to a network for telecast. I am sure ohter posters can expand but I recall the WPT even going to court with The Travel Channel over the PPT. It seems like it was in the can for something like 18 months? I even remember hearing rumors of the WPT trying to sell it to ESPN before cutting a deal with The Travel Channel.