Coldplay? definitely in the Delilah category
Nickelback? Hate.
Led Zeppelin? Love.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great news! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Songs with cool stories behind them

[ QUOTE ]
As an added layer, the song "American Pie" is about the day Terry Jacks died of cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone else mentioned earlier, the song is widely regarded to be about the plane crash that killed Ritchie Valens, Buddy Holly, and the Big Bopper. Additionally, however, there are many interpretations of the songs lyrics that treat it as a sort of catalogue of music and events that happened between the plane crash and the writing of the song. Here's a link with some interpretations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycgegp0KdE4

Some popular interpretations of the lyrics include that "the jester" is Bob Dylan, "in a coat he borrowed from James Dean" because Dylan wears a coat very similar to the bright red coat worn by Dean on one of his album covers. Also, the "girl who sang the blues" is Janis Joplin, and "Jack Flash sat on a candle stick 'cause/ Fire is the Devil's only friend" refer (pretty overtly, imo) to "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones, and the subsequent lyric about "angel born in hell" refers to the Hell's Angels at the tragic Altamont Rolling Stones concert. "The three men I admire most" has been interpreted to mean the Holy Trinity, the three musicians who died in the title plane crash, or the assassinations of JFK, RFK and MLK.

Don McLean himself has been notoriously cryptic as to the "true" meaning of the lyrics, once saying, "it means...that I never have to work again."

Interestingly, the song "Killing Me Softly" was apparently written about "American Pie", because Roberta Flack was so moved when she heard the song that she felt like Don McLean was, "singing my life with his words."

Another great African-American song that was apparently inspired by an earlier song by a white artist is Sam Cooke's epic, "A Change is Gonna Come" (which, if ANY of you have not heard, I suggest finding and listening to immediately, as I feel it is one of the classics of the 20th century that is almost impossible to not enjoy). Apparently, Cooke heard a little song called, "Blowin' in the Wind" by Bob Dylan, and was so struck that such a powerful song could be written by this young white boy that he set out to write a grand song of his own.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:12 PM

Donna Summers' "She Works Hard for the Money" was written about the African-American female bathroom attendant at the original Chasen's restaurant in Los Angeles.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Donna Summers' "She Works Hard for the Money" was written about the African-American female bathroom attendant at the original Chasen's restaurant in Los Angeles.

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact that you (or anyone) knows this scares me
Old 11-13-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you (or anyone) is scared by this flabbergasts me.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:48 PM

damn near all Fela Kuti songs have decent stories behind them, but "Coffin for Head of State" takes the cake. Fela took the money he made from making music in the states before he was deported for working without permit, and went back to Nigeria and created the Kalakuta Republic, an independant nation/commune/recording studio. After a smash hit making fun of the Nigerian Military "Zombie" his commune was raided by the military, burned to the ground, and his mother was thrown from a window, and killed. After he recovered from his near fatal injuries, he held a funeral march that ended at the main army barracks, where he left his mother's coffin.

Once Fela records a song, he never plays it live again, and he recorded "Coffin for head of state" very quickly, so he wrote another song about the incident "Unknown Soldier" (referring to the "unknown soldier" that was blamed for destroying his commune, even though it was near a thousand soldiers that did it)
Old 11-13-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you (or anyone) is scared by this flabbergasts me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chasen's was THE restaurant in Los Angeles for quite a long time. I learned the Donna Summer anecdote from the really interesting documentary referred to on the wiki page.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 PM

Fifty Mission Cap by the Tragically Hip. Inspired by Bill Barilko, who scored the Stanley Cup winning goal for the Leafs. He then went fishing, and his plane crashed. The Leafs did not win another cup until his body was found.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 PM

This is one I expected to come up
http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/firerain.asp
Old 11-13-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight

It's about a guy who could've saved that other guy from drowning. But didn't. Phil saw the whole thing and at a show he found him.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

now it's too late, i'm on a thousand downers now, i'm drowsy