Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2005, 02:40 PM

Default How do you play this hand on the bubble?

I have a situation here where I am not sure if there is an obvious way to play/think about this hand or not. Its an SNG so it pays first, second and third and 4-9 get nothing. we are down to 4 handed, so one of us will leave with nothing. Me and seat 3 are short and about even. the other 2 considerably higher. I think my goal is go for third and try to outlast seat 3 and not do anything "stupid", but maybe i'm still supposed to gamble a bit. (any comments?). in this hand i am under gun, (Seat 1), and have ATs. play has been tight and 2x raises pre-flop have been taking a lot of pots. i have seen seat 2 fold his big blind and not be particulary agressive pre-flop, (especially for having a big stack), and i have also seen him go allin on some flops when he did play. My read on others and table in general is tight. maybe because we are in bubble situation. First question is what should I do pre flop?...

PokerStars , Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200)
Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: Hero (1250 in chips)
Seat 2: AMAK316 (6590 in chips)
Seat 3: ColorMeBest (1160 in chips)
Seat 9: MrGlas (4500 in chips)
ColorMeBest: posts small blind 100
MrGlas: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Ts As]

What should i do pre-flop??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I raised as follows:

Hero: raises 200 to 400
AMAK316: folds
ColorMeBest: folds
MrGlas: calls 200
*** FLOP *** [8s Jh 5s]
MrGlas: bets 1200

and on the flop, MrGlas (big stack), raises me all-in, (He bets 1200 and I have 850 left). I have the nut flush draw and the Ace overcard. I think in normal circumstances its an auto call, but remember, if i lose here, i am out and get nothing. Would you gamble and call here, or drop out still hoping to outlast the other small stack?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results:

Hero: calls 850 and is all-in
*** TURN *** [8s Jh 5s] [8c]
*** RIVER *** [8s Jh 5s 8c] [5d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
MrGlas: shows [5c 6c] (a full house, Fives full of Eights)
Hero: shows [Ts As] (two pair, Eights and Fives)

I called, and he had pair of 5s on flop. I go on to lose and get nothing. Is there a better way to play this hand, (for example fold pre flop, just call pre flop, fold to all-in bet etc.), or was I just a victim, (this time), of the poker Gods and that's the way it turned out this time...

Thanks for you input.