Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Underhanded Tactic Used in a 10/20 NL game, Please Discuss.

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think i would hate him as much if he didn't post with the full intention of not listening/understanding/taking-other-peoples-opinions-into-mind. if you're going to post and still be hardheaded in your stance and not care what people say then why don't you just tell this story to your dog?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's why I haven't listened to what people have been saying in this thread:

It's 50% moralizing.
It's 20% people wishing I were dead.
It's 20% people telling me I'm going to get beat up.

That adds up to 90% useless in my book, and I can't believe there aren't at least a few people here who find profit and amusement in angle shots like this. Oh well! To the 10% who tried to legitimately engage the idea, thanks.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
op is trolling, stop feeding him

and I agree with the wishes the other posters have made for op

[/ QUOTE ]
So bringing up an unpopular target is trolling? This is a poker site, and, like it or not, angle shots are part of poker. Even Mason gives John Fox's book high marks, and that book has plenty of advice about taking shots. This high rating despite some of the plays "bordering on cheating."

Anyway, I happen to be interested in the angle shooting area of live poker. If some of you guys aren't and it just makes you mad, then just stay out of the thread.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the interest of intellectual responsibility, I felt it necessary to point out this strawman so that people here aren't duped by its apparent accuracy:

[ QUOTE ]
From a game theory perspective, it is better not to be a pr1ck

[/ QUOTE ]
In terms of being a prick, the most successful people in the world are almost all pricks, crooks, liars, or all of the above, at least if we're measuring success by wealth accrued. They have made it their business to find ways to exploit the world's consumerist culture and ignorance and claim as much wealth as possible for themselves. Did Bill Gates steal ideas from Steve Jobs? Does Sheldon Adelson mercilessly exploit Asian ignorance about gambling and superstition to the tune of $1,000,000/hour in Macau? Is Mark Rich the 242nd richest person in America despite all of the laws he supposedly broke? And I'm the scumbag for tilting some poker player and helping some fish win a pot? Pshaw. Poker is said by many to be life in a microcosm, and just as in life, you find people looking for angles everywhere, be it in game theory, card manipulation, psychology, mastery of hand reading, refinement of their game through internet messageboards or wherever they can find it. Finding and exploiting weaknesses in your opponents and in the system itself (as per the short stack method in NL hold'em, for example) is how money is made, and this is just another example of it.

I'll also heed your warning in the event that I'm ever in a poker game in Perth. Thanks for the heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are a moron and wasted everyone's time with this pointless rant about exploitation.

bottom line this angle shot is horrible and if you played in a live game consistently, you'd be the only one left in it after too long.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:40 AM

If you're going to be an a**, you can at least be smooth about it by talking to your neighbor and whisper "I'd call this." During this moment, the whole table is silent and I'm sure the fish will hear you.

Nevertheless, you need to get some moral. Winning using dirty tricks will get you in trouble. As for making fun of the geeky kid with a math degree, that nerdy might go both Columbine and Virginia Tech on your a**.

And oh yeah, since you're shooting angle to win moneys, you're probably aren't that good at poker. I will pull a MagicNinja on you and start calling your hands.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:43 AM

is nick rivers a bruiser gimmick account?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:50 AM

this is admittedly a pretty dumb thread, but what would you all do if your best poker buddy (who is currently down on his luck) is on your right and considering the call and the SB is some douche you hope dies in a grease fire. Would you kick your friends leg under the table as he goes to muck his cards or stick to the rules? What if you were taking a share in said friends action?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:53 AM

man, tell me where you play. just tell me. I'll 'maximise your EV' for a chance to land a right hand on the bridge of your nose
Old 08-17-2007, 10:54 AM

I've had this happen before where I know the guy is bluffing and my buddy is in the hand making a decision. Maybe it says something about my ethical values or something, but I just couldn't put myself to do anything about it. He's a good player and he will figure things out. I just wasn't going to start cheating so he could make a few dollars.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is admittedly a pretty dumb thread, but what would you all do if your best poker buddy (who is currently down on his luck) is on your right and considering the call and the SB is some douche you hope dies in a grease fire. Would you kick your friends leg under the table as he goes to muck his cards or stick to the rules? What if you were taking a share in said friends action?

[/ QUOTE ]

This probably goes without saying, but I would definitely indicate to him to make the call.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:15 AM

Personally, I think you are simply a troll and that this event never happened.

You just thought it would be a great story that was guaranteed to get a rise out of people.
Closed Thread