Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 05:49 AM

Default Verbal calls away from the table?

This happened a while ago, but I was thinking about this tonight and was curious.

I'm at a 5/10 NL table and a new player sits down. He informs the dealer that he's $500 behind and "to call any bets" while he gets the $500 from the cage (10 feet away). It's raised to $50 preflop. Dealer informs him that it was raised to $50 and he "calls" from the cage. He comes back to his seat as the player bet $100 on the flop (HU now). He looks at his cards and mucks. He ships the PF raiser $50.

My question is this: If the PF raiser made it all-in, would that player be bound to call his $500 while he was standing at the cage?
Old 03-09-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Verbal calls away from the table?

I don't believe very many floors will consider verbal statements made before the cards are even dealt as binding; such a thing is more of a threat than a promise. On the other hand, if the dealer had said "this guy's all-in for $400" and he'd said "call" from the window, obviously he is committed.

Moneymaker did this once at Alladin, I was told. He asked to be dealt in and ran to the restroom. As he was walking back to the table the dealer says "this guy is all-in, Chris" and MM replies in mid-stride, having never looked at his cards, "I call".
Old 03-09-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As he was walking back to the table the dealer says "this guy is all-in, Chris" and MM replies in mid-stride, having never looked at his cards, "I call".

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally Moneymaker does something cool.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As he was walking back to the table the dealer says "this guy is all-in, Chris" and MM replies in mid-stride, having never looked at his cards, "I call".

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally Moneymaker does something cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously that's great
Old 03-09-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Moneymaker did this once at Alladin, I was told. He asked to be dealt in and ran to the restroom. As he was walking back to the table the dealer says "this guy is all-in, Chris" and MM replies in mid-stride, having never looked at his cards, "I call".

[/ QUOTE ]

Result of the hand?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:00 PM

I wasn't there for this one and I don't recall whether the story teller told me if he won or lost. If it's important, let me know what answer you'd like to hear and I'll edit this post and change it to "he busted the guy" or "he got busted by AA".
Old 03-10-2007, 01:07 AM

More importantly did he wash his hands before shipping the chips.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:30 AM

A player needs to be seated to play his hand. A dealer shouldn't even let a player post if they are not at the table. Too many arguments can break out over a player who is involved in a hand while he is not at the table. If he walks away from the table, they should be mucked. If he walks away from the table and gives some instructions, he should be told that he must be at the table to play his hand.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A player needs to be seated to play his hand. A dealer shouldn't even let a player post if they are not at the table. Too many arguments can break out over a player who is involved in a hand while he is not at the table. If he walks away from the table, they should be mucked. If he walks away from the table and gives some instructions, he should be told that he must be at the table to play his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, why on earth would want to shut down and stop a player that is willing to call any raise PF in the NL game and then call an AI without ever seeing his hand or the board cards?!?!?