Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Pluto

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know where you got the impression I'm disagreeing with the makeup of the Solar System. This is a hard science area. I don't usually disagree with the hard scientists in their area of expertise.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was more of a question...
After pluto was discovered, were there biblical based statements to the effect of "see, tol'ya so. says right here ".....9...". thought you might be aware of some.

luckyme
Old 11-01-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its kind of incredible they just discovered Pluto in 1930 and now 77 years later they are able to say its not to be counted in the solar system. I wonder if they will refine the whole system at some future time to include dwarf planets. Its interesting Pluto is not a moon. It belongs to some new classification. A "dwarf" planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is saying its not part of the solar system. What they are saying is that it is more like a large asteroid than a planet. It's only 2/3 the size of the US, for cryin' out loud. No, it's not a moon, but neither is Ceres or the other, larger KBOs that have been identified. The question was never about Pluto, per se. It was about whether or not we expand or contract the definition of "Planet". If we expand it to include Pluto, then we have to incude several other objects in the definition. What is so offensive about science rethinking millenia-old definitions?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:18 AM

Nothing is offensive about it from my point of view. The article might have an offended point of view, but probably even it doesn't. The astrologers arguing over it have some argument that enough people weren't used in making the decision or something like that.

Edit: change astrologers to astronomers

Here's the astronomers beef:

"I'm embarrassed for astronomy. Less than 5 percent of the world's astronomers voted," said Alan Stern, leader of NASA's New Horizons mission to Pluto and a scientist at the Southwest Research Institute.

"This definition stinks, for technical reasons," Stern told Space.com. He expects the astronomy community to overturn the decision. Other astronomers criticized the definition as ambiguous.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:30 AM

I didn't sleep for weeks when I heard the news. I always preferred Pluto to Neptune. Or Goofy.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't sleep for weeks when I heard the news. I always preferred Pluto to Neptune. Or Goofy.

[/ QUOTE ]

But surely you never preferred him over Miss Piggy?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you be offended if I said you were a better troll than a poster? Its not so much an insult to your posting so much as it is a huge compliment to your trolling.

[/ QUOTE ]

trolling? that's not very nice. this is a thread about pluto, right? the article i quoted mentioned pluto several times. i go to all that trouble to research and when i find something that is so about pluto the reaction of this forum is to either dismiss it, ignore it, or call it "trolling."
Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would you be offended if I said you were a better troll than a poster? Its not so much an insult to your posting so much as it is a huge compliment to your trolling.

[/ QUOTE ]

trolling? that's not very nice. this is a thread about pluto, right? the article i quoted mentioned pluto several times. i go to all that trouble to research and when i find something that is so about pluto the reaction of this forum is to either dismiss it, ignore it, or call it "trolling."

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] it, I dont even care if you do take offense, you are definitely better at trolling than posting. A+
Old 11-01-2007, 09:21 PM

I agree with the decision to demote Pluto. It is just a large Kuiper Belt object.

Another thing, there are 6 continents, not 7. Eurasia is one continent. The fact that people on opposite sides of the Ural Mountains have different color skin has nothing to do with geography.