Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Still Learning, How Badly Did I Butcher This?

zomg means what exactly and while I am asking stupid question what is this tl;ld or whatever it is .....too lazy to look it up.

It's ironic but the mini micros and the micros really are two different beasts.

The micros today emulate the 3/6 5/10 live players and the mini micros are almost a hybrid of bad 3/6 live table drunkfests.

I think the key to remember at least when I am posting is to respond to posts like its a real lvl where players aren't complete idiots.

I don't think I change my answer much if its a 5/10 table or a .50/1.00 table.

To that end however I think that strategically you need to learn to adapt to different players and that is why I think that the mini micros afford a great learning opportunity if players started posting hands with reads.

Posting without reads and saying well strategy shouldn't change etc. is my biggest pet peeve about posts today more than the they are idiots raise them comments.

At least its an assumption. It's a bad assumption but its better than no reads imo.

I would love posters to consider removing the lvl they are playing at in their posts and submit them based on bb made rather than monies. I would also love hand posters to stop posting hands where they just sat down etc. Give us all the friggin info you have maybe someone has some insight you haven't thought of rather than ....yeah b/c this 4.1 its a raise etc.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also love hand posters to stop posting hands where they just sat down etc.Give us all the friggin info you have maybe someone has some insight you haven't thought of rather than ....yeah b/c this 4.1 its a raise etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying it's not worth posting a hand if you got no good information because you just sat down? or do you mean you'd rather not see a "I just sat down" as read in the post but any tiny bit of info even if it's just from f.e. 2 hands? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would also love hand posters to stop posting hands where they just sat down etc.Give us all the friggin info you have maybe someone has some insight you haven't thought of rather than ....yeah b/c this 4.1 its a raise etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying it's not worth posting a hand if you got no good information because you just sat down? or do you mean you'd rather not see a "I just sat down" as read in the post but any tiny bit of info even if it's just from f.e. 2 hands? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually a common lament. Due to a) the fact that there are so many people playing online, players are less likely to have played against players seated at the table in the past, and b) the fact that online poker is rigged and you get so many good-but-not-great ("action") hands within the first orbit after you post, there are going to be a lot of "just sat down, got XX and I'm confused" posts. Also, unfortunately, most sites are blocking datamining in one way or another, so it's not likely to go away anytime soon.

That said, the flip side is that it's important to reinforce how to play A-B-C poker for these situations.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:09 PM

to be fair 90%+ of the time when ppl say that someone 'just sat down' its actually just because they hadnt bothered to get reads and dont want to admit it =P
Old 10-11-2007, 10:41 PM

I find it difficult to reinforce ABC poker and at the same time ignore the actual skillset that generates the most money for you.

Datamining 3 stats over 500 hands is going to help a little but if I had 5 statements on how a player played a hand or reacted to situations I would take those first.

Teaching ABC poker without teaching players how to read their opponents is like teaching students how to multiply with a calculator.

Remove the calculator and they may know the right answers occassionally but they will never know why they are the right answers.

In this need for speed generation, people often are so much in a rush to play that they forget half the battle is preparation. Pros prepare. Simple as that. Part of playing proper poker is preparing by prepping tables prior to putting your ass in the pocket of a seat.

I constantly dialogue with myself while I watch the table and getting ready to play.

I play very quietly to start and then open up once I understand the dynamics and flow of the table. Sometimes I am wrong and sometimes I am right.

Its important to give players a benefit of the doubt when they raise the first time but if it happens over and over again you have to question their motive.

I constantly notice guys raising my sb for instance even from MP3 or a guy who limps UTG and then donks the flop.

Or the guy who donks any paired flop. Or the guy who check/raises 3 flushes on the turn when he peels the flop.
Or the guy who limps on the button in a community pot but folds on the flop when the board has face cards. Or the guy who calls from the button and bets if it gets passed to him on the flop.

I try and find out if a particular calling station will only call if he has a piece or if he calls with over cards or if he calls with air but folds on the river.

Which guys will peel one and then fold?

Which guys donk A high boards when raised in front of them preflop.

All kinds of information can be gleaned and be a lot more effective for you by observation rather than datamining.