Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 04:40 AM

Default Re: US Dollar Index

[ QUOTE ]
Agree fully with Jimbo.
But I do see some very huge problems comming for the USD.
Anyway, I have some funds in USD on a pokersite right now, should I be converting to CDN before it reaches par / eclipses the USD. What a nightmare that is, 5 years ago 10k USD = 13.5k CDN now =10.001k

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive been wondering the same thing for a few weeks now and am very interested in the answer
Old 09-19-2007, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Agree fully with Jimbo.
Anyway, I have some funds in USD on a pokersite right now, should I be converting to CDN before it reaches par / eclipses the USD. What a nightmare that is, 5 years ago 10k USD = 13.5k CDN now =10.001k

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive been wondering the same thing for a few weeks now and am very interested in the answer

[/ QUOTE ]

In an efficient market it truly doesn't matter. If you are consuming in Canadian Dollars it would seem wise to be constantly cashing out anything that isn't a bankroll. If it's a bankroll, then keep it in USD as that is the currency you play in.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hyperinflation is a lock

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly, in the remote chance it does occur in the dollar you will have a worldwide meltdown, better to invest in generators, guns, bullets, language lessons and bottled water.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth would the world economy melt down? The US are net consumers, not producers, and finding consumers is just about the easiest thing ever, who doesn't want stuff? the 1-3 billion people in China, korea, japan, India will gladly start living more consumptive lifestyles once they no longer have to compete with american dollars for the goods they produce.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
. US Dollar drop more?

Inflation going forward?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hyperinflation is a lock. Oil over $100, Gold over $1000 in 2008. Take that to the bank.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/hyperinflation... I think a lot of people do not realize that the fed is printing up USD's like water. The Gov does not even publicly display M3 anymore, wonder why?

If the inflation rate is 6, 7, 8, 9+ %, you will need your investments to return that much more when take inflation into consideration.

If you have a 15% return on the year and inflation is at 8%, your return does not look so good.

In about 3 years (2010), check out the prices for the consumables that you use everyday. Food and Gas... Come back to this thread then...
Old 09-19-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hyperinflation is a lock

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly, in the remote chance it does occur in the dollar you will have a worldwide meltdown, better to invest in generators, guns, bullets, language lessons and bottled water.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth would the world economy melt down? The US are net consumers, not producers, and finding consumers is just about the easiest thing ever, who doesn't want stuff? the 1-3 billion people in China, korea, japan, India will gladly start living more consumptive lifestyles once they no longer have to compete with american dollars for the goods they produce.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Jimbo is stating that better to invest in U.S. exporters than commodities the U.S. imports. Not sure of the rationale regarding the following:

1-3 billion people in China, korea, japan, India will gladly start living more consumptive lifestyles once they no longer have to compete with american dollars for the goods they produce.

I guess you're saying that the people in these countries can't buy the goods they're producing because the U.S. is buying more than they can produce. Possibly but unlikely IMO but could be convinced otherwise on that.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
. US Dollar drop more?

Inflation going forward?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hyperinflation is a lock. Oil over $100, Gold over $1000 in 2008. Take that to the bank.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/hyperinflation... I think a lot of people do not realize that the fed is printing up USD's like water. The Gov does not even publicly display M3 anymore, wonder why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually no. The Fed quit collecting data to do M3 because it was expensive to collect the data and didn't provide info that was worth the cost. What M3 info is so significant that it gives different picture than M2 lets say?

[ QUOTE ]
If the inflation rate is 6, 7, 8, 9+ %, you will need your investments to return that much more when take inflation into consideration.

If you have a 15% return on the year and inflation is at 8%, your return does not look so good.

In about 3 years (2010), check out the prices for the consumables that you use everyday. Food and Gas... Come back to this thread then...

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest factor in pricing goods and services is labor costs and this is so by a landslide.

But this what makes markets. It should be quite easy to get money on the hyperinflation scenario.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree fully with Jimbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

5 years ago i think it was 10,000 US was $15000 plus CDN. I remember my bonus hunting days and depositing a US check and got 1.60.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:01 PM

65 cents was about the lowest it went I think, So 1.35 would be the most. Don't know how you could get 1.6. Or 15k for 10k that would be a 50cent USD for 1 CDN.

Hyperinflation is pretty scary, and a very real possibility. What do you think is the best currency to keep funds in as the possibility of hyperinflation looms. CDN? I figure the CDN will probably follow what happens to the USD in a matter of time. I would think the Euro would be best to have? What do you guys think?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:41 PM

Assuming I decide to convert some extra $$$ into euros, what is the best way to go about doing this? Should I be signing up with some forex thing or just take 50k down to the bank and ask them to convert it? Also, is there an easy way for Americans to buy stocks with euros through a site like Vanguard?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming I decide to convert some extra $$$ into euros, what is the best way to go about doing this? Should I be signing up with some forex thing or just take 50k down to the bank and ask them to convert it? Also, is there an easy way for Americans to buy stocks with euros through a site like Vanguard?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can look into FXE

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=FXE