Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Euro vs. North American Players

I've heard or read something that there are slight differences in play, in regards to aggression. Can someone explain?
I never thought it made a difference because I don't plan on being in Europe anytime soon. Problem is, lately, the majority of my online playing has been with one of the leading UK sites.
So far, I've found the Europeans to be very aggressive with their drawing hands, not much else though.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Euro vs. North American Players

You were watching the EPT final weren't you?

No there is NO difference. Poker is about the individual and cultural-background has no factor in it. A lot of internet players tend to be more aggressive but I think that is because they are afraid to play after the flop. It seems like a lot of internet players are afraid live-players may pick-something-up and outplay them.

Now I will say this.... if you sit down with a few Europeans... do not talk about politics. A few months ago I was playing with a guy from Finland, France, and Germany and the French guy kept asking me if I voted for George W Bush (I tell him its private). Then he starts going on about Global Warming and how much Americans are killing the earth... I ignore it knowing nothing good will come out of it.

The German guy (speaking in German) told the French guy (he obviously speaks German also) that maybe he should tone it down. The French guy (speaking in German) saids it doesn't matter because he could care less if he hurts stupid American's feelings. What neither of them knew was I used to live in Germany and can speak it...... so I told the guy (in German... AND being polite) that I never met an individual so rude and demeaning in my life.

The thing was... I really wasn't that mad. I was up over 2 buy-ins and the French guy was obviously making jokes (despite being inappropriate). Anyway, The French guy felt like a total [censored] and walked away after 3-4 hands and sat at the bar for another 2 hours while his friends finished the game.

The rest of the night was nice. German guy... real nice.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:14 PM

So you're saying French people are rude & arrogant?

Makes sense to me...
Old 08-20-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me...

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me lol [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Every country has their fair share of a-holes. All can be found at your local poker game.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You were watching the EPT final weren't you?

No there is NO difference. Poker is about the individual and cultural-background has no factor in it. A lot of internet players tend to be more aggressive but I think that is because they are afraid to play after the flop. It seems like a lot of internet players are afraid live-players may pick-something-up and outplay them.

Now I will say this.... if you sit down with a few Europeans... do not talk about politics. A few months ago I was playing with a guy from Finland, France, and Germany and the French guy kept asking me if I voted for George W Bush (I tell him its private). Then he starts going on about Global Warming and how much Americans are killing the earth... I ignore it knowing nothing good will come out of it.

The German guy (speaking in German) told the French guy (he obviously speaks German also) that maybe he should tone it down. The French guy (speaking in German) saids it doesn't matter because he could care less if he hurts stupid American's feelings. What neither of them knew was I used to live in Germany and can speak it...... so I told the guy (in German... AND being polite) that I never met an individual so rude and demeaning in my life.

The thing was... I really wasn't that mad. I was up over 2 buy-ins and the French guy was obviously making jokes (despite being inappropriate). Anyway, The French guy felt like a total [censored] and walked away after 3-4 hands and sat at the bar for another 2 hours while his friends finished the game.

The rest of the night was nice. German guy... real nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of a experience that a friend had. She was very young looking, blond haired, and blue eyed.

In a bathroom in Mexico, one woman was, in Spanish, telling another older woman one of the most disgusting jokes that my friend had ever heard. This story involved, among other things, sex which included every possible type of bodily discharge.

During the telling of this story, they remarked that it was a good thing that the young gringa didn't understand Spanish.

At that point, my friend smiled, introduced herself, and told the women that she was a college Spanish teacher in the United States.

She said that she had never seen anyone more embarrassed!
Old 08-22-2007, 03:39 AM

Reminds me of a conversation I had in 2004 with a Swedish guy who tried to convince me that I should vote for Nader because the U.S. is controlled by the international jewish conspiracy (or is that International Jewish Conspiracy(tm)?) People in other countries don't seem to know much about U.S. politics (and the reverse is generally true as well, I suppose). Personally, I turn chat off these days no matter what country the people I'm playing against are from.

I've only really noticed drastic differences in play when playing on sites with lots of Scandanavian players. People repeatedly bluff-capping the river with busted draws, everyone limping around to the SB, who folds, three-betting any ace, pushing any pair in NL, etc.

The differences decline as the stakes go up. It's mostly just a question of how our bad players play, versus how their bad players play. I like theirs better.