Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 11:38 AM

Default 3 hands, 1 villain

.1/.2 6max

Hand #1:
I have $10, Villain covers.

First hand at the table, limped to me in BB with Q4s, I check my option.
Flop is Q94r
Villain in SB leads for pot. I repot, Villain reraises to $6.

Here I think no reads, low stakes = odd plays, I only have 50BB, let's get it in.
Villain has Q9 and I lose.

Thoughts here? How deep do I have to be before I call flop and reassess?

Hand #2: I have $10, Villain covers.
From EP, I pot QQ. Villain calls.
Flop JJ7r
Check, I bet 3/4 pot, villain calls.
Turn A
Check, I bet 1/2 pot, villain calls.
River blank
Check check

Immediately after my turn bet, I felt it was the wrong play. I felt I should have checked.

What do you think about that?

Given his cards (T9?!) it was the best play, but I think in general it is not.

Ok, so that was the history for Hand #3.
I have $16, Villain covers.
I have AQo UTG

I open for pot. Villain calls from BB.
Flop AKTr
Villain leads into me for pot.
This totally threw me- I was used to his passivity with poor hands and obviously I remember getting stacked with the 2 pair.
I call.
Turn blank, he pots again.
I fold.

I would welcome any comments or criticism for all hands.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: 3 hands, 1 villain

Hand 1 - .1/.2=auto felt for 50bb, I think people will play any Q, any draw like this so get it in. You were just unlucky.

Hand 2 - betting the turn is okay but you have to be prepared to fold if he raises. I actually prefer check calling the turn and re-evaluating river as not many worse hands will call a bet (although maybe at these levels they do?). If he checks behind on turn then you can bet river for value. Checking and folding to a bet is best against someone you feel would not bluff or make loose value bets.

Hand 3 - This is not a good fold IMO, you could easily be ahead here. I would raise the flop for information and to protect my hand against the possible draws he could be leading with. If he reraises then you can think about folding, if he calls then I would fire out again on a safe turn card if checked to. Villian could easily have a worse Ace, a draw or be on a stone cold bluff. This is .1/.2 and you cant give your opponents too much credit.

Try and post the actual hand history's next time using a converter. You will get many more replies.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the comments- I typed the hands from memory and do not have access to the HH. Sorry if it was hard to read.

In hand 2, note that I am in position- would you check behind here? I think that is the best play. If he has Ax, TT, 99, 88, etc, maybe he peels the flop because of the paired board and the likelihood that I missed and am just c-betting. But on the turn, with the dominated pairs he would have to think he is beat since the A hit. If he has an A, I'm toast. Or if he has Jx, maybe he will hit me with a c/r. So checking the turn gets me off cheap when I am beat, induces bluffs from weaker hands, and gets me closer to showdown.

All of that aside, my bet very luckily happened to be perfect given his holding, it would have sucked to give him a freebie to his gutter.

I agree that raising the flop is the best play- I think in the heat of battle I thought I was WA/WB and wanted to let him continue, but he fired strong again on the turn and I chickened out. I hate my play of this hand.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:21 PM

Sorry I misread hand 2. Yes checking behind is best.
In hand 3 if the board had been something like A93r then yes you are WA/WB and calling is an option. Given the nature of the board in your example, I would raise.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 PM

In hand 1 with 50bbs, stacking off with 2 pair in that spot is fine.

Hand 2, flop bet is fine, but don't bet turn. With the exception of KK, any hands you beat prob fold turn anyways. No need to turn QQ into a bluff.

Hand 3, you said he generally plays passively with poor hands? if that's the case, then I'm fine with the turn fold. Flop call was fine.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:53 PM

BTW, in Hand 3, raising flop on such a drawy board, is way way bad. You're basically turning AQ into a bluff.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, in Hand 3, raising flop on such a drawy board, is way way bad. You're basically turning AQ into a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think at .1/.2 there is reason enough to raise? His range is likely a LOT LOT wider here than the typical villian at say 50NL. I can understand your reasoning for a call but at this level a raise can't be bad.