Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: yay me managed to turn pkt kings into a bluff

I don't think a push pf is "wrong", but it's not my fav line here because I think we lose both villians most of the time, especially this early in the donkament. I usually say don't put in >20% PF with only a raise, just push, but the exception is QQ+, and sometimes AK.

Personally as others have said, I raise to 450 PF. I think your raise was too much of an overbet, and starts to look transparent when you put in that much PF. I mean what else puts in 1/3 of their stack?

I just open push this flop. Making a bet and then folding is terrible IMO, it's throwing away ANOTHER 1/3 of your stack. Pot. Odds.

I don't think QQ/JJ is calling anything on the flop anyway, so I'm not too concerned about losing hands we're ahead of anyway. At the same time, a push looks like it might be a bluff, and QQ/JJ might call. Fact is you should maximize your FE here.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[...] 1.) not shoving preflop - you raised, got reraised - now you should push with KK [...]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero wasn´t reraised - he himself reraised a raise of 180 to 720. A push on a raise of 180 would have been a bit overscrewed here imho ...
Old 11-21-2007, 05:22 PM

Believe it or not i did have a plan in the hand and it might have been misguided.

My cunning plan was to reraise enough so that if i got a caller i could get it allin on the flop with a pot size bet.

my plan worked but obviously the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the flop confused matters and made me feel it was a wrong move regardless of result.

Thoughts on this plan
Old 11-21-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have position on him correct? Why not just check behind him on the flop looking to get it in on the turn?

Villian is either way ahead and calling your flop bet or drawing to 2 outs with a smaller pp. The only way IMO you can get value from a worse hand is to check behind and see what he does on the turn. He could bet the turn with all hands he'd call the flop with along with lower pp's hoping to bluff you off of KK or QQ which he'd have to think is in your range at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is clearly the best analysis so far. The bet on the flop won't fold hands better than you and might fold hands worse than you, who would otherwise take a shot on the turn.

Villian's range has not been discussed in detail, I'll start by stating the obvious:

(1) Cold calls 3bb PFR from early raiser
(2) Pot reraised, calls 540 into a pot of 1170 (~2.2:1)
(3) Checks the flop with Ace on board

He has 1750 left (29BB) and pot is 1710. He is comfortable enough to bluff at the pot on the turn.

So he really wanted to see a flop, but is not interested in taking a shot after the flop. AQs, AJs, ATs, maybe even KQs,QJs,JTs; middle to high pocket pairs. The aces aren't folding, but the others probably will, IMO, to the flop bet.
Thus I really don't see a reason to bet the flop.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:21 PM

Yeah, I don't understand why there is so much disagreement about this. It seems a really standard check behind here. I also check behind big aces a % of the time here as the flush draw isn't really a worry unless he is bad enough to call pre with KQs and he's much less likely to believe you after you check behind. He has only 2 outs the vast majority of the time if he's behind so giving a free card isn't much of an issue.

Shoving the flop gets better hands to call and worse hands to fold whereas if you check behind you might be able to get value out of KK/QQ. Folding anywhere is awful though.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:29 PM

No way am I mucking kings after committing 1/3 of my stack.

By the way, definitely check behind on the flop. Call any shove and shove over the top of any bet.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 PM

I don't see why the raise is so bad. There was a call of the raise, so my standard would be 4x the original raise, which is 720. A raise to 480 or 540 as some suggested here is horrible imo. I would check this and try to get to the river cheaply. If he checks river I push for value.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why the raise is so bad. There was a call of the raise, so my standard would be 4x the original raise, which is 720. A raise to 480 or 540 as some suggested here is horrible imo. I would check this and try to get to the river cheaply. If he checks river I push for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the river push.

As stated you are either way-ahead or way-behind. If we accept that you are probably not getting away from the hand, you shouldn't bet this flop.

If he's got an Ace then he's going to call you. He's not flat calling a raise and a re-raise with A-high only to fold it on this flop.

If he hasn't got an ace, then he's got a pocket pair (which could be a set). Again he's not folding the set (duh), but you've got to check the flop to allow him to bluff the turn or river with KK-JJ.

If he checks it down to the river its hard to see a worse hand calling your river push.