Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2006, 11:30 PM

Default iTunes Help PLZ

Hey OOT

I'm going to reformat my computer but I've got a gazillion sweet iTunes playlists and I don't want to lose them. I know there's a Export Library function, but does this apply to playlists as well? I've got all my music on an external HDD so the paths to the files will be unchanged, etc.

This is a small glimpse of just how many hand-crafted playlists I'll lose if I can't export them!

If anyone has a way to help me out I'd be forever in your debt!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Re: iTunes Help PLZ

From iTunes help:

Saving a copy of your playlists
You can export a playlist and import it on a different computer so that you can have the same playlist in both places. You can also export a playlist to save a copy of it.

Exported playlists contain a list of the items in the playlist; the actual songs or videos aren't included.

Here are ways to archive or use playlists on another computer:
To archive a single playlist or use it in iTunes on another computer, select the playlist (below Playlists), choose File > Export, and then choose XML from the Format pop-up menu.
To save a copy of all your playlists, choose File > Export Library. The exported information is saved in XML format.
To import an iTunes playlist, choose File > Import. The imported playlist includes only songs and videos already in your iTunes library. Unavailable items are removed from the list.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:36 PM

Just noticed this too...intersting

Sharing your iTunes library across computers
If your computer is connected to other computers over a local network, you can share items in your library and playlists with up to five of those computers (in the same subnet).

To share your library with other computers:
Choose iTunes > Preferences, click Sharing, and select "Share my library on my local network."
Select the items you want to share.
Type a name for your shared items in the "Shared name" field.
To require users to enter a password before they can see your shared items, select "Require password" and enter a password.
The name you enter appears in iTunes on other local computers (in the same subnet) set up to look for shared libraries. For others to see your shared items, your computer must be on and iTunes must be open.

You can share movies; MP3, Apple Lossless, AIFF, WAV, and AAC files; and radio station links; you can't share Audible spoken programs or QuickTime sound files.

Sharing is intended for personal use only.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:38 PM

Computer Technical Help (4 viewing)
Post your questions about computer hardware and software and configuring same here.
Moderator: Ryan Beal, SamIAm
Old 10-03-2006, 12:41 AM

Find the files "iTunes Music Library.xml" and "iTunes Library" and save a copy of them. After you have reformatted and reinstalled itunes replace the new itunes library files with the ones you saved and it will be just like you left it.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:51 AM

What others said. But dude, why do you have all those playlists? If you want Eminem, just type Eminem in the search thing and your library will instantly be filtered to only show Eminem.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What others said. But dude, why do you have all those playlists? If you want Eminem, just type Eminem in the search thing and your library will instantly be filtered to only show Eminem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really hate just quoting people and posting it, but I was thinking this exact thought while reading your post.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really hate just quoting people and posting it, but I was thinking this exact thought while reading your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there are some Eminem songs he doesn't want to hear but doesn't want to delete either.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:17 AM

Maybe he has some Eminem songs he doesn't want on his playlist.

To work around this you could just rate all the songs you have and filter by that too.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:55 AM

Yeah what the others said, plus the fact that I like to be able to scroll through and get inspiration of what to listen to and scrolling through like 12000 songs is frigging annoying.