Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 08:37 AM

Default NL25 set on ugly board, line check

Ok, I have a set here but obviously, the board isnīt the best. Advice welcome - thank you!

<u>Reads:</u>
First session w/ villain, I know him for ~50 hands.
Preflop seems to be semi-loose. I wouldnīt like to exclude suited aces from his possible range here, but suited kings seem unlikely, and he does not have something like T2s.
As for his river bet, there has been something noticable: in the very short time I know him, he has been caught twice doing very expensive, very aggressive 3-barrel bluffs w/ unimproved AK, where he was the preflop raiser.

Here goes:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($35.80)
UTG+1 ($11.95)
MP1 ($30.30)
MP2 ($28.65)
CO ($29.50)
Button ($17.15)
SB ($34.65)
Hero ($41.30)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, UTG calls $0.25, SB calls $0.25.

Flop: ($1.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.25</font>, UTG calls $1.25, SB folds.

Turn: ($4) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.25</font>, UTG calls $2.25.

<font color="blue"> I was helpless here. I figured I might be ahead and a small bet seemed to be something a lesser hand may call, e.g. KJ or something w/ one high card being of the flush suit. As I donīt think he is a great player, I also want a chance to fill up and, if beat, maybe I can convince him heīs gonna earn the most if heīs just letting me do the betting. I expect to win a lot if I fill up and he has a flush. </font>

River: ($8.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $8</font>, Hero calls $8.

<font color="blue"> I check to give him a chance to bluff.
Ok, his bet size doesnīt please me all too much. But then again, given his history, heīs capable of big bets w/o a real hand, plus he might correctly think that I have an ok hand that fears the flush. I am hoping for something like AJ, KJ.

Is this call acceptable, given his history?
If so, whatīs the right play against an unknown here?</font>

Final Pot: $24.50
Old 11-02-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: NL25 set on ugly board, line check

What is that raise preflop? If youre planning on raising, do it bigger. I'd like to see "raises to $1" rather than "raises to $0.5" and 2x "calls $0.25".

Okay, now that the flop comes three diamonds and youve made a minraise preflop UTG could have anything from suited connectors to 7d3d.

He calls your flop bet and turn bet and if theres anything to catch from his play he almost never has a flush here. Hes more probably holding something like TdJx and now that youve checked the river and played passively he bets $8 to scare away some of your range that beats him. I would never fold a set here.

Well played except raise more preflop.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that also be true at a table that plays loose-passive, where they never fold to c-bets, but extracting w/ made hands is easy? Thatīs how the rest of the table inkl. SB were playing.

As for the main villain, heīs certainly not passive once the flop comes, but w/ what I had seen from him I expected a solid chance to get a lot out of him if I hit. Had I raised, I expected him to either fold or to challenge a c-bet. I see your point, but few flops that make my set are that bad?
Old 11-02-2007, 09:07 AM

I would call here both against him and an unknown.
The way it played out I think he has the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or a TK,TQ,TJ with 1[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
He might even have TPGK and hope you are (semi-)bluffing
If he does have the flush well too bad, but I think you are ahead here.

IMO you played it fine
Old 11-02-2007, 09:14 AM

Standard except for the min. raise pf. Well played.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is that raise preflop? If youre planning on raising, do it bigger. I'd like to see "raises to $1" rather than "raises to $0.5" and 2x "calls $0.25".

Okay, now that the flop comes three diamonds and youve made a minraise preflop UTG could have anything from suited connectors to 7d3d.

He calls your flop bet and turn bet and if theres anything to catch from his play he almost never has a flush here. Hes more probably holding something like TdJx and now that youve checked the river and played passively he bets $8 to scare away some of your range that beats him. I would never fold a set here.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the way the hand was played, I don't see why he can't have the nut flush here. Lots of players at this level will limp UTG with Axs.

Is this not a situation where he has the nuts or is bluffing?

I think if villian was going to bluff, he would have done so on the turn, after heros bet size. If he had J10 again you would expect a raise with 3 diamonds out on the flop. Has to think that Ad or Kd is in heros range.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the way the hand was played, I don't see why he can't have the nut flush here. Lots of players at this level will limp UTG with Axs.

Is this not a situation where he has the nuts or is bluffing?

I think if villian was going to bluff, he would have done so on the turn, after heros bet size. If he had J10 again you would expect a raise with 3 diamonds out on the flop. Has to think that Ad or Kd is in heros range.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO villain is bluffing here more often than he has the nuts. He has been caught bluffing and making third barrels twice already in 50 hands HERO has played with him. HERO seems to have a hand that would be giving value to a flush so villain would probably raise the turn rather than check-call every street and hope that HERO fires on the river too. I think he has a hand like AdTx here very often.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:42 AM

If he turns up with the nut flush. Would you mark him down as a player who slow plays big hands and plays fast with air/medium hands?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he turns up with the nut flush. Would you mark him down as a player who slow plays big hands and plays fast with air/medium hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Limps suited aces from any position, slowplays big hands."

If he plays any suited ace, he won't likely let go of a flopped top pair too easily. That's another thing to consider, and to make a note of.