Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Deviated Septum

Curious, anyone ever have surgery to fix a deviated septum (the cartilage in your nose that seperates your nostrils)? How'd it work out?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Deviated Septum

I've had this surgery twice (age 7, and age 19) and unfortunately I may have to get it again, which I am not happy about. Do get the procedure done though - your nose will be a million times clearer and easier to breathe through. It's not that bad, I believe I didn't even go to the hospital but instead was opearted on in a small OR in the doc's office. Plus you 'll score some sweet vicotin/percecet/codene for your troubles.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:04 PM

I have a nostril that works at about 1/4 to 1/3 the power of my other nostril. I haven't really had it checked out. I'm guessing that's a deviated septum. If so, do you think my insurance would cover fixing it or do I need to show some hardship caused by it? I'm taking up running for the first time in my life, so I actually would like it now and I'd definitely consider it if it is covered. I'll check it out on my own with my insurance company, but if anyone has any advice, that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:04 PM

I had mine done sophmore or junior year of high school cause I couldn't breathe out of my nose. ALl I remember is waking up being devestated from the surgery, nose filled with about 30 pounds of gauze. The following day was doctors visit where he pulled some bloody and really red gauze from my nose and for a split second I could breathe threw my nose, then it ended and probably filled back with more blood and he gauzed it up. I just remember this healing process taking forever. In fact, a couple of days later I went back to the doctor thinking he had removed all of the gauze when he pulled out a piece of gauze that was probably a foot long. All in all, it was a good operation and I am happy it was done as now I can breathe out of my nose. Go for it.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the testimonials. I'm not sure if I need it or not for certain, but years ago a doctor told me I had a deviated septum and he could fix it with surgery, but at the time I was concerned that it might not be necessary and that he was just looking to make some $, so I didn't do anything. So I'm not even sure what a new doc will say now, but I just got to thinking about it because sometimes I get the feeling I'm not breathing as good as I could breathe so to speak, just in general, as I don't have any problems while sleeping or anything like that.

No idea about the insurance aspect of it yet though. I'm guessing it's covered in general.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:22 PM

West,

I had it done 10+ years ago and the stories in this thread are in line with my experience. For you and Donkey Kong Sr.'s reference, mine WAS covered by insurance, which was key as it ran in the thousands.

Apokrupto's experience is similar except I didn't go back the next day, I literally was a shut-in for a whole week, only leaving one time to refill my prescription. It was kind of embarrassing walking around with gauze hanging out of my nose.

Also, once you get it out (and when they rip it out it will feel like giving birth through your nose) you should breathe fine for maybe a few seconds or a minute and then you will plug up again and will probably be blowing bloody snot for awhile. I think about a week later it just randomly finally cleared up.

So it was a really sucky 2+ weeks but it was clearly worth it. One more thing, someone upthread mentioned meds: this was a huge issue for me. They literally gave me the EXACT amount to get me through the week. I was supposed to take them every couple of hours but like clockwork they wore out after an hour and I was in agonizing pain for the next hour (why the hell I didn't just get sloshed the whole week I have no idea). Make sure they give you enough to get through.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:30 PM

actually, i just caught a this very operation on dr.90210 (not that i watch that show, or that this actually counts as useful information)
Old 01-18-2007, 09:54 PM

This is apparantly a fairly common operation. I had it done about 5 years ago (although, sadly, the problems I'm having with my nose seem to still exist). I was hopped up on painkillers for about a week after the surgery so the recovery wasn't all that bad for me. Overall I think it's fairly short, and aside from nosebleeds for a while, it's not all that bad.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
actually, i just caught a this very operation on dr.90210 (not that i watch that show, or that this actually counts as useful information)

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. It was kinda gross, but cool to see. They pulled a big wad of tissue out of this dude's nose, and he had lied to the doctor about having previous treatments for it(who knows why). Seems like one of the saner operations to have, even if you're doing it for borderline cosmetic reasons.

Might as well have your teeth in good shape first, though. That's a dangerous area that's easy to infect.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:08 AM

I had it done a few years ago, and never noticed very much improvement but I have all kinds of allergies and undeveloped frontal sinuses so my nose is a wreck anyway.