Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Suggestions for Online MTTs. We can make more money than we are...

Intro: Read after if you want
Normally I hate sharing with everyone because I am just too lazy to type / etc. I like to make sure everything I write is well thought out and not retarded sounding because I like to be respected and not thought of as a retard. Anyway this thread is not going to be like that because I just dont want to put that much effort into it, but I do want to say a couple of things about MTTs online right now and I want to let everyone know why they are going downhill right now and how it can be fixed. I normally post on 2+2 as Deuce2High. Some of you may play with me, my screen name is Pwnasaurus. I also like to tour live circuit events like WPT and EPT, that is, the ones that are 18+, as I am only 20. I'll be at Monte Carlo so say what's up if you see me.

I've been playing MTTs online for a considerable source of my income for a few months now, having jumped from SNGs on Party / Stars. SNGs are dead now pretty much. Why? Primarily it was because for the structure that was designed for them, the rake was too high and the edge was too small because of the ability of the players (i really mean this for the higher stakes). MTTs really haven't had that problem (yet), because you get many more hands in for the amount of rake that you pay and that enables you to realize a fuller value from your edge per dollar of rake you pay; And that means higher returns. That is the good news people. The bad news is that online MTTs are becoming much more competitive. What has this meant for me? Nothing really, I'm still making tons of money. But it is getting harder and the hours are getting longer. I've been playing more and more cash games and live events. The money is just not getting as good in online MTTs. Anyway, here's what we need to do. (Ranked in no particular order. Everything is important)

We need higher buy-in tournaments on a daily schedule and more high-stakes rebuys!
== We need more higher buyins. Sites need daily $200+ and $500+ MTT freezeouts. Slap satellites to every single one. Full tilt needs a $100 daily rebuy.
Example: The Full Tilt 1k Monday. You click on the lobby and there is a list of sats. They have a SNG sat in the SNG lobby as well. Very successful tournament.
Example: 100r on UB. This tournament is dead now (I'll explain why later) but this tournament is a prime example of why rebuy tournaments are so much more profitable than freezeouts; And rebuys reduce long term variance, believe it or not!

We need more guaranteed prizepool tournaments
== Fish and pros alike love big paydays and lots of players. Guarantee names do that.
Example: A couple months ago the UB $100 + rebuys was one of the most profitable daily tournament online with a guaranteed prize pool of $25,000 put up by about 90 players. UB just removed the guarantee off of the $100 nightly rebuy tournament and the tournament is now basically dead and gets about one table and it blows.
Example: Full tilt added a guarantee to their $30 rebuy tournament that was getting zero action for weeks. Once the guarantee was slapped on there is another $14k prizepool every night. That also means a bunch of P5ers play it for the P5 leaderboard points. Then Annette_15 and Bel0Wab0ve play it to pwn them. Then lots of donkeys buy in to try to play with Annette_15 and Bel0wab0Ve. Then I profit.

We need poker sites to have big monthly leaderboards with big prizes and publicity.
== Not for the pros. Really, leaderboards like this dazzle the fish with pipedreams of fame and fortune. Softens fish into unloading their roll onto the table one buy-in at a time.
Example: Party Poker's MTT / SNG leaderboard. This leaderboard had tons of popularity and publicity.
Example: PokerStars Yearly/Weekly leaderboard lists. These work good but the time frames are off. No one cares about a weekly winner and yearly takes too long. Monthly winners are what people want to see (like P5s has).

We need more 6-max tournaments.
== This is just so obvious. People should be screaming for this. When the games are tough, full ring is just an absolute suckers game. Profitability /hand goes way down as its necessary to play so much tighter. I believe that this could be the most profitable change that could ever be made. Sites have been looking for new typs of MTTs (Like the bounty on UB). Everyone e-mail your favorite site and tell them you want to see a lot more 6-max tournaments.

We need people to do what they can.
== Pocketfivers and 2+2ers staff use your connections. Get these things done. P5ers and 2+2ers write e-mails to the sites. But make sure your suggestions are SOLID. Remember that we are the ones that make the decisions, in all reality. We pay ALL THE BILLS FOR EVERYONE. If we make bad suggestions the poker sites will still probably do it, so don't. When you send your e-mail, send it to as many addresses you think will take your suggestion including VIP if you are VIP.
Example: People like the UB pros who are P5ers and FTPDoug who work with the forums can facilitiate our ideas.
Example: Write a form e-mail on P5s for other people to copy/paste and send in themselves. Lot's of people are lazy and don't want to do the typing themselves.

Am I the only one who has not noticed the games have been getting tougher? Lets do something about it and be good professionals and do a little work now to make our life easier down the road. Here are 5 good suggestions to a great start.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Suggestions for Online MTTs. We can make more money than we are..

Good post
Old 03-15-2007, 10:02 PM

solid post
Old 03-15-2007, 10:04 PM

i played the bounty tournament on UB today for the first time and it was the coolest thing I have seen in a while.

i agree with most all your sentiments, pwnasaurus, especially the 6max tournament demand, as I am a 6max cash player at heart and would love these tournaments.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:07 PM

weekly tlb no one cares about [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

A lot of your comments have been echoed more and more lately and stars def took a huge step in the right direction with their most recent structure but still each hour imo should have 1 high 1 med 1 low/micro tourney and 1 should be a rebuy 1 a FO and 1 a 6max/limit/PL tourney. And rotate which ones which and with rebuys rotate 1r 1a and unlimited etc. and each hour have 1 of them be a garuntee.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 PM

i dont get why stars has never put any attention/reward with the monthly leader board.

pretty stupid i think.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:14 PM

i like the 6max idea, i'll fire off some some emails
Old 03-15-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
weekly tlb no one cares about [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't care about it on the lone basis that it rewards either a) being a luckbox in a bunch of big tournaments, or b) being shaun deeb in 180's (which is just a measure of insane work ethic)

monthly though is a better indicator, and i echo rays sentiments.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont get why stars has never put any attention/reward with the monthly leader board.

pretty stupid i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've talked to justin and tried to push for monthly freerolls for whatever events are around which would give 200-300 equity to all in top 100 for monthly. Which would be nice I think and make those borderline play more which is good for everyone.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:22 PM

can we aim for something top 5 oriented instead?

i dunno top 100 just seems kinda lame. i wouldnt want to be rewarded for being #82 on the month. itd be a lukewarm feeling.