FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: RB2?
Henry vs Houston 8 88.89%
Washington vs CLE 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Did He Touch Home?

[ QUOTE ]

Questec uses steroids IMO. It probably got them from Barry Bonds. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

But Questec has never failed a drug test..... [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Questec uses steroids IMO. It probably got them from Barry Bonds. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

But Questec has never failed a drug test..... [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is another thing it has in common with Bonds amirite!? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Too many bad things can happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could walk home the winning run. What else?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just the possibility of the walk. It's the batter knowing you can't walk him, which gives him a significant advantage, especially if he gets ahead in the count.

And as mentioned, HBP is a concern. There are also things like catcher's interference, dropping the 3rd strike, and probably other oddball situations which are rare, but you never know.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd hate for instant replay to come in to play. The human element is what makes this game far more fascinating than any other. .

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain this plz.

Everybody says that, but they don't really have any argument to back it up.

Blown calls are really what makes baseball interesting?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'd hate for instant replay to come in to play. The human element is what makes this game far more fascinating than any other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baseball already uses Questec, and even worse, it's used arbitrarily in some stadiums, and not in others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Questec is used for umpire evaluation - not for reviewing balls/strikes during the course of play to change a call.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'd hate for instant replay to come in to play. The human element is what makes this game far more fascinating than any other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baseball already uses Questec, and even worse, it's used arbitrarily in some stadiums, and not in others.

[/ QUOTE ]

"YEAH"
Old 10-02-2007, 04:35 PM

No, Dids, there are a lot of things that make baseball interesting. A lot of things that I wouldn't necessarily expect folk who only care about sports to the extent they can gambool on it to understand.

If a player can make a questionable play (such as Holliday racing home on such a shallow fly),

If a manager can make a questionable decision,

Why can't an umpire get to make a questionable call?

All can be equally boneheaded, and all can equally cost a team a game.

I wouldn't really expect you to grasp some of the more visceral emotional aspects of sport however, given how you like to chastise folks calling teams "theirs" or "ours" when they don't hold ownership stakes. Not everything in life has to be about +EV, or perfection.

Hell, football, as a sport, got along just fine for decades without it. It's here, and it is what it is, but unlike football, which changes its rules damn near yearly, baseball is consistent and perpetual.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Too many bad things can happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could walk home the winning run. What else?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just the possibility of the walk. It's the batter knowing you can't walk him, which gives him a significant advantage, especially if he gets ahead in the count.

And as mentioned, HBP is a concern. There are also things like catcher's interference, dropping the 3rd strike, and probably other oddball situations which are rare, but you never know.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you have 1st and 3rd, you have to be worried about not rushing the throw home, making sure the tag is applied, etc. etc.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 PM

except, of course, the addition of the DH.

the addition of the wild card.

Changing mound height.

and so on and so forth. If they instituted instant replay, people will still get fired up and passionate about calls (we all can name a ton of post-instant replay calls in the NFL that are still argued about). It's not full proof.

I'm in favor of it for plays at the plate and home run calls. I'm not a big fan of it for plays at first and things like that.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, Dids, there are a lot of things that make baseball interesting. A lot of things that I wouldn't necessarily expect folk who only care about sports to the extent they can gambool on it to understand.

If a player can make a questionable play (such as Holliday racing home on such a shallow fly),

If a manager can make a questionable decision,

Why can't an umpire get to make a questionable call?

All can be equally boneheaded, and all can equally cost a team a game.

I wouldn't really expect you to grasp some of the more visceral emotional aspects of sport however, given how you like to chastise folks calling teams "theirs" or "ours" when they don't hold ownership stakes. Not everything in life has to be about +EV, or perfection.

Hell, football, as a sport, got along just fine for decades without it. It's here, and it is what it is, but unlike football, which changes its rules damn near yearly, baseball is consistent and perpetual.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sports betting history is one $5 bet on an Apple Cup.

I don't think I've ever made a "theirs/ours" post. I use "we" a lot refering to my teams.

I do not understand how you can equate an error made my a player with an error by an umpire. Nor do I understand, or have you even attempted to explain, how that makes a game better to watch.