Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 PM

Default college level high school courses

something that i and some of my friends at my school have really been wondering about is how these kids of courses look to colleges. our school doesn't offer a lot of APs but instead offers more college level courses that aren't labelled AP or honors. these classes are things like number theory, modern physics, mathematical modelling, multivariable mathematics, things that most highschool don't offer. whenever we have asked admissions people from colleges they have given really vague answers, but i and my friends really would like to get any info about what this really looks like to colleges as far as GPA and hs curriculum go, any help would be appreciated
Old 10-05-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: college level high school courses

It's going to look good, imo. AP is overrated. IB is better. AP isn't bad though I just don't think it's the be all to end all.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:47 PM

yeah, i know that, but at least for UCs they say that APs and honors get a grade point up, other classes are normal. since these school get so many applicants we cant tell if they look so closely at stuff that isnt labelled AP/IB/honors. they say they look at all school equally, but going to a private school that isnt necessarily a good thing, given that i know my classes are harded than those of an LAUSD school, but that means im graded harder as well
Old 10-05-2007, 10:54 PM

They won't ignore it. They should be on par with AP/IB/Honors, etc. Those aren't normal sounding HS math courses. i'm pretty sure they will be noticed. They will probally know your school as well.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:10 PM

Take as many AP courses as possible. You will thank yourself so, so much when you are later on in college and don't have to take as many credits. Honors courses look really good on a transcript, but don't do a whole lot else.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take as many AP courses as possible. You will thank yourself so, so much when you are later on in college and don't have to take as many credits. Honors courses look really good on a transcript, but don't do a whole lot else.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true unless your school just accepts the credits but they dont actually count for anything (which often is the case)... unless your really trying to go for an Ivy school, take honors classes and get awesome grades and your set
Old 10-06-2007, 02:49 AM

well, now its a bit late to really choose classes given that i am a senior. there aren't any honors classes i can take that i havent taken already as a senior, im taking 1 ap and a college level math class which i opted to take over AP stat since its a more fun/interesting class. im not good enough at writing/language to do english or spanish AP. at my school you have to be accepted into harder classes, cant just sign up and get in.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is true unless your school just accepts the credits but they dont actually count for anything (which often is the case)... unless your really trying to go for an Ivy school, take honors classes and get awesome grades and your set

[/ QUOTE ]

getting credit but not counting for anything? do you mean you get credits but it doesnt count with regards to replacing classes (like AP econ i got credits for but had to retake micro and macro if i wanted to take upper level econ) or do you mean like at yale where you can use them to replace lower level classes but you dont get credits for em?

either way, i came to school with 33 credits and have never taken more than 14 in a semester and had enough to graduate after 3 years. take as many as possible so you dont have to later on.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

getting credit but not counting for anything? do you mean you get credits but it doesnt count with regards to replacing classes (like AP econ i got credits for but had to retake micro and macro if i wanted to take upper level econ) or do you mean like at yale where you can use them to replace lower level classes but you dont get credits for em?

either way, i came to school with 33 credits and have never taken more than 14 in a semester and had enough to graduate after 3 years. take as many as possible so you dont have to later on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I go to Maryland and some AP classes (such as AP English) transfer in as "credits"... they are literally "General Credits" on your transcript, not counting for any specific class.