Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 12:51 PM

Default Prelim review of Ultimate Guide to Poker Tells

I am about 80 pages in and so far I am extremely disappointed. Most of the text so far has been re-writes of Caro's book and a few liberally borrowed tells from other players published work-ie Super/System and Ciaffone's "Improve Your Poker". Not much original or uniquely useful info in the first 80 pages. Also I liked Caro's play by play with pictures approach more than straight text. On an Amazon scale of 1-5 it gets a 2. If you are a poker book fanatic and have read them you will probably have most of what this book contains. I will give an update if the remainder of the book turns more positive or useful.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Prelim review of Ultimate Guide to Poker Tells

[ QUOTE ]
I am about 80 pages in and so far I am extremely disappointed. Most of the text so far has been re-writes of Caro's book and a few liberally borrowed tells from other players published work-ie Super/System and Ciaffone's "Improve Your Poker". Not much original or uniquely useful info in the first 80 pages. Also I liked Caro's play by play with pictures approach more than straight text. On an Amazon scale of 1-5 it gets a 2. If you are a poker book fanatic and have read them you will probably have most of what this book contains. I will give an update if the remainder of the book turns more positive or useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I asked how he improved upon or differed from Caro, and he basically said he uses holdem examples instread of draw, that told me there is little new ground covered here. Your post seems to confirm that.

Keep us posted if you find anything original.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:11 PM

Who wrote this book?

(never mind- Randy Burgess and others, according to Amazon)
Old 04-25-2006, 05:29 PM

I'm sick of this book already just from the bickering in the other thread.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:44 PM

Yeah, I thumbed through this book thinking it might have some new material, and i turned to one page in the book , and thought i picked up a thinner copy of Caros hah. I had double check the cover 3 times after reading like 4 pages.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:07 AM

As the author of this book, I just wanted to post the only published review so far of the book, by Howard Schwartz of the Gambler's Bookstore, here it is in it's entirety (I edited out a section in the beginning about another book he reviews later in the same column):

Mike Caro is the undisputed pioneer in explaining poker tells -- what they are and how they can be profitable in keeping a poker face and reading opponents. Now comes the Ultimate Guide to Poker Tells subtitled Devastate Opponents by Reading Body Language, Table Talk, Chip Moves and Much More and written by Randy Burgess with Carl Baldassarre (197 pages, paperbound, $16.95)....
The poker book on tells does cover limit and no-limit poker among its 10 chapters (illustrated). In it, the authors make a valid point about Caro's original book of tells -- it was written before hold'em became the hottest game, when draw poker or stud was popular, which means much has changed. Plus, another generation or two of players have honed their camouflage skills behind sunglasses, hoods, funny eyeglasses and stone-cold stares to counter reads by opponents so players have to develop new skills.

This is a solid, easy read, cutting away to logic quickly and offering excellent examples of situations you're likely to encounter, while reviewing what some of the best players in the business have said about the value of tells.

The authors get specific in detailing what to look for among Asian players, women, the elderly, those with jewelry or tattoos, plus what cues are exhibited by bad players. The book should help improve your own game, whether a beginner or hard core pro and to smooth out your own table etiquette while disguising your mode of play
Old 05-15-2006, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
while reviewing what some of the best players in the business have said about the value of tells.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you included my comments which are that tells have a little bit of value but that's it.

MM
Old 05-15-2006, 11:45 AM

I would not count you among "the best players in the business". Do you feel you are?
Old 05-15-2006, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
those with jewelry or tattoos,

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not read the book yet, but I hope the above part is not similar to the Ken Warren advice about people with tatoos.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As the author of this book, I just wanted to post the only published review so far of the book, by Howard Schwartz of the Gambler's Bookstore...

[/ QUOTE ]
This review reminds me of a broker’s stock tip. The broker only makes money when you buy something, so you’ll never see a negative review. Every stock is a winner, just like every book review by Howard is a winner. I would view a positive review from your own mother to be more legitimate.