Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 12:34 AM

Default Two WSOP event Stud 8 hands

hand 1. 2k event, 50 ante, 50 bring in, 200/400.

guy two to my right brings it in, one fold, i complete with (4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. all hearts are live except the 6, one 2 is dead, 3s and 7s all live. Four or five way to the flop including a mildly loose guy with a 5 up, and john juanda with a J up. Their suits don't matter.

4th street, john catches a black T, I catch the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], loose guy catches a black 8, other guys catch bricks. John bets, I peel, loose guy calls, three of us to fifth with 2600 in the pot. Thoughts on peeling?

fifth john catches another paint (K i think), other guy catches a 2, i catch the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. john checks, i check, guy ( with (xx)582) bets 400, john c-r to 800, and i?

----------

hand 2.

3k event, 100 ante 100 bring in, 400/800. 2 brings it in, i open-complete to 400 with (65)4; suits don't matter, circuit pro named bill (who played the 5k plo rebuys and is playing the 50k horse) reraises with a A up. mike sexton calls with a 6. I call.

Fourth I catch an A, bill catches a suited 4 (diamonds), sexton catches an 8. i check bill bets, sexton calls, i call.

fifth i catch a 2 (i have 65(42A), bill catches a black 6 for (xx) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], sexton catches a 9. I bet bill calls, sexton calls.

sixth i catch a Q, bill catches a 3 (to give him (xx)a463, sexton catches an 8 (for (xx)6898. i check bill bets, sexton calls i call. river i pair the 5, i check bill bets, sexton thinks a while (pretty clear he's deciding between calling and raising) and calls, i call.

Any other way to play it? And, what should I do if Sexton had raised?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Two WSOP event Stud 8 hands

I don't see how you can say that Juanda's suit doesn't matter. When a good player calls with a banana in the door, his most likely hand is a three-flush, probably with low hole cards. If two or three of his suit are gone, then he's likely on something else.

You acted first on fourth street, right? I'd consider betting out. Doesn't look like anyone has much of anything, and you're calling anyway. You can represent a strong high hand which might help you buy the pot on a later street.

I'd also consider betting fifth street. You have a strong draw, and the loose guy might not even have a low yet if he's loose. As it is, I think you have to call. I probably wouldn't object if it got capped.

Second hand, I'd consider putting in more action on third and fourth. On sixth, I'm definitely putting in more action. Either bet or check-raise or something. You do realize that Bill has to have a Deuce in the hole in order to have you beaten, right? You can account for two of those. If you were worried about folding out Sexton, that's one thing, but I don't think he's going anywhere, because I think he's got the best high hand. Get your money in there.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:19 AM

First hand, I cap. You're in good shape vs. John, and you're prolly ahead against the other guy if he's loosy goosy. You might even force him out if he has to call 2 cold. Only real downside I see to this play is if goosey calls and you brick, leaving you stuck in the middle on 6th. If that happens, then remember I told you to just call.

Hand 2, you say suits don't matter. Does that mean diamonds are dead? Because on 3rd Bill has either an ace and two babies, a flush draw (likely with babies), or split aces. If the flush draw isn't likely, then he has no reason to bet into Sexton for high unless he caught a third ace somewhere or made a straight. If he made his straight, it's more likely to be to the 7 than a wheel, given that at least two deuces are dead. So, all that said, I'd prolly raise/call 7th.

If Sexton had raised, I would have simply called. If Bill had re-raised Sexton, I'd try to grab his cards and throw them in the muck rather than make that decision.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:26 AM

In general you'll get better discussion with two separate threads...

Hand 1 I think the peel on 4th is ok and 5th is a call.

Hand 2 I'd probably bet out on 4th, good things can happen. 5th is pretty much the same thing, except it's slightly tempting to checkraise and catch Sexton in the middle now. Problem with that is that he's probably drawing to a 9 high straight now, so again you wouldn't mind if Bill raised and Sexton reluctantly folded a gutshot that clearly won't be winning low. 6th and 7th your hands are tied.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:48 PM

Hand 1, the checkraise is a standard approach for a fairly strong made high hand and a made low to jam out the other player. I would call the checkraise and call a cap, because your hand is in decent shape against their probable hands. You don't lose that much by folding though.