Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Re: lil wayne

[ QUOTE ]
Lil Wayne is [censored] horrible and if you like him you are making hip-hop suck

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus christ, it's just [censored] music. What other people like has absolutely no bearing on you or the "state of hip hop" if there even is such a thing.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have been trying to avoid thsi thread all day and finally caved.

Lil Wayne is [censored] horrible and if you like him you are making hip-hop suck and I am going to take that personally and say unkind things about you in the mod forum or something.

CDC,

Want to cry?

Jay-Z was supposed to be on that song, but didn't make it to the studio or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lil' Wayne is not about lyricism. I listen to Weezy because of his ridiculous flow (only Jay-Z has better IMO) and the way he just plays with sounds and words. He decomposes simple words into syllables, plays around and strings them together like different colored necklaces. It just sounds good. Trying to explore deeper into his music is a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh god. half the time i listen to wayne he goes completely off beat pronouncing words as a 3rd grader would. usually when people slow down their flow and emphasize every syllable they do so to say something clever or meaningful, which i would say for the most part he doesn't at all and sounds ridiculously bad.

fwiw, i still like wayne, i just think he is overrated as hell.

here is a hot song. ludacris, busta rhymes and big boi absolutely kill this song, while wheezy sounds very mediocre here.

i'm so hood remix

[/ QUOTE ]

that was hot. i almost never enjoy ludacris
Old 10-06-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lil' wayne puts out so much sick [censored]. his mixtapes are better than most good artists feature CD's. right now i'd probably rather listen to 5 of weezy's mixtapes instead of the new 50 Cent or Kanye. his flow is unlike any other rapper and his metaphors/punchlines are ridiculous. i find myself laughing at his lyrics (in a good way) all the time, simply put he just entertains me.

"and when i was 5, my favorite movie was the Gremlins, aint got [censored] to do with this but i just thought that i should mention"

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT
Old 10-06-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"and when i was 5, my favorite movie was the Gremlins, aint got [censored] to do with this but i just thought that i should mention"

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so great about this line? I really don't understand. Its a simple throwaway line. Its not intricately rhymed nor does it have an internal rhyme scheme or does it have any good metaphors or double entendres. Come on, this is why people my age who were really getting into hip hop during its true "Golden Era" from the release of illmatic (around 94) to the death of Big Pun/ release of Marshall Mathers LP (around 01) laugh at the garbage the 16-21 year olds think is hot.

This is an example of good lyricism:

Nas on Raekwon's Verbal Intercourse (Only Built 4 Cuban Linx)
Live on the run, police paying me to give in my gun
Trick my Wisdom, with the system that imprisoned my son
Smoke a gold leaf I hold heat, nonchalantly
I'm grungy, but things I do is real it never haunts me
Old 10-06-2007, 02:14 AM

constantine,

you are rapidly challenging dids for 'worst rap poster on 2p2'

esco,

i have always heard a lot of kane in nas' rhymes, i have listened to him much more than rakim though.

it is also very clear that eminem would never exist without nas, even if he developed some of his own style later on. eminem's earliest stuff just sounds like a white guy biting nas.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:40 AM

Francis,

pretty sure he just quoted that line cuz it's hilarious in its context and just on it's own. And just cuz a rapper doesn't follow the rules Nas and all set doesn't mean it's automatically dismissable as bad by any means. I listened to most all of the Nas, Big Pun, and Eminem before the MM LP, and I'm 22. But it got old, Weezie's new. And he rules now.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He was better when he was 13. Now sometime he just sounds ridiculous. His verse on the first Chamillionaire CD is what made me wish someone cut out his tongue.

[/ QUOTE ]

So glad someone agrees. The block is hot was fire boy!!! thats how it was when they were sick, bling bling, i got that fire, back dat azz up, i need a hot girl, weezy and juvi and all of them were shining they were much better. Weezys rhymes now are too childish
Old 10-06-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so great about this line? I really don't understand. Its a simple throwaway line.

[/ QUOTE ]

When dissected in text format his stuff is inane compared to the very meditated rhymes of some of the other heavyweights, which may very well be a detracting fact about his merit, but it's not where his appeal lies really.

The guy absorbs almost every beat in rotation and hits the studio every day and plays with sounds and flows of everything out there and experiments with it, because he seems to love it, and he puts out tons of interesting stuff. It's pretty refreshing as far as the industry goes. I think a lot of the organic feeling of his mixtapes, the half freestyle sounding tracks that remind me of the passion a lot of the industry used to have, is where his appeal for many lies.

I should note that I smoke way way too much weed, and that I feel as though Weezy is super stoner music, it seems to be the case of most hard fans of his I know, dont know bout 2p2.

I often wonder about the possible results of if a guy like Jay Z made his work game more like Waynes, I dont know if it would be the sickest thing ever or he wouldnt have it or it wouldnt even be possible because some guys just compose their stuff in a different way and then just drop it in short bursts of sickness. Sorry for rambling.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:17 AM

Suck my [censored] dick lame. Just because you live in NY doesn't mean you know [censored] about rap.

I guess you've got a mean internet swagger cause you listened to Biggie in college. If you've got nothing constructive to say, shut the [censored] up and don't step to me. Tired of obnoxious mods.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Francis,

pretty sure he just quoted that line cuz it's hilarious in its context and just on it's own. And just cuz a rapper doesn't follow the rules Nas and all set doesn't mean it's automatically dismissable as bad by any means. I listened to most all of the Nas, Big Pun, and Eminem before the MM LP, and I'm 22. But it got old, Weezie's new. And he rules now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the thing though...HE IS FOLLOWING THE RULES Rakim, Nas, Jay and Biggie set. He just doesn't have any substance. I have the Carter 1 and 2, and some of his mixtapes. He has an uncanny flow, he can hit every little high hat in the beat. When its all said and done, he may be the best ever IN THIS REGARD. However, in order to be able to rap over a beat like he does, he sacrifices alot. It seems to me that he writes, after getting a beat, basically by just listing words that rhyme, and filling in the rest later after getting the flow right. This may also explain why he can be so DRASTICALLY hit and miss. I'm trying to think, is there any good, legit story-telling tracks that he's ever done? I can't think of any, but I could've missed some. Its clear, to me at least, that he wants to be a in that same category as Pac, Jay, Nas, Rakim, etc. He is one of the best thats out and hot right now, but that really isn't saying much. I think once he starts focusing more on the actual lyrics and what he is trying to say, he will eventually move into that "legendary" status that he wants. He may never do it though.