Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Default The Dids theory of human [censored]-upery.

Paluka just said this

"Nope. I believe that the only reason anyone believes in God is because they desperately want there to be one."

Which made me think of this:

Perhaps the biggest flaw in our society (and perhaps the history of mankind, although I don't know nearly enough to make that claim) is our utter inability to accept that there are things that we do not know. We suffer such discomfort in these situations, that we grasp for explanations that may not make the most sense, but make us feel the best.

Thoughts?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: The Dids theory of human [censored]-upery.

I see it as the complete opposite.

its the desire of mankind to explain the things that we do not know which has driven us towards science, exploring space, understanding how the human body works,creating great pieces of art and yes creating religion.

I also don't agree that people who are religious have grasped for the explanation that makes them feel the best.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paluka just said this

"Nope. I believe that the only reason anyone believes in God is because they desperately want there to be one."

Which made me think of this:

Perhaps the biggest flaw in our society (and perhaps the history of mankind, although I don't know nearly enough to make that claim) is our utter inability to accept that there are things that we do not know. We suffer such discomfort in these situations, that we grasp for explanations that may not make the most sense, but make us feel the best.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I literally just posted about this in the other thread. I absolutely agree with you, but to a point, which I'll get to in a bit. I also agree with [censored] in that science has strived to come up with explanations for these things we don't fully understand. But as [censored] also said, the fact that people take religion as the explanation that makes them feel best is likely not enitrely true. I'm sure for many people, the fear of not knowing some of life's eternal, or not so eternal, questions may lead them to God as a way for comforting them. For others, faith is likely instilled in them at a young age by their parents, or they just happen to align with a particular religion's beliefs. However, if the beliefs happen to be of a moral nature, then you can refer back to the God thread about my thoughts on that.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:08 PM

But science, and scientifically inclinded folk are far more comfortable with an end result of "dunno" than most.

Obviously a drive for exploration is great. It's when that bricks out that I see mistakes being made. Obviously religion is the best example. (warning, crude, inartful example follows) We cannot rationalize how we got here, etc, so some folks made up a Unicorn in the sky to help them get through the day.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paluka just said this

[/ QUOTE ]

And the only reason anyone believes there is no God is because they desperately don't want there to be one.

The one thing about those who believe in God is that they tend to realize that they are making a leap of faith... the same can't often be said about those that believe in anything other than God (and everyone believes in something).
Old 02-01-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But science, and scientifically inclinded folk are far more comfortable with an end result of "dunno" than most.

Obviously a drive for exploration is great. It's when that bricks out that I see mistakes being made. Obviously religion is the best example. (warning, crude, inartful example follows) We cannot rationalize how we got here, etc, so some folks made up a Unicorn in the sky to help them get through the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Science cannot rationalize how we got here. There are plenty of people who believe in god that have no trouble rationalizing thier existence. You say they believe in a big Unicorn, but most of them, while in your opinion may be ignorant, are probably much more happy and at peace with things (ecspecially near the end of thier days). If ignorance is bliss, i have no trouble being happy.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And the only reason anyone believes there is no God is because they desperately don't want there to be one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just not true, and to be honest it is a pretty stupid thing to say. Why would anyone not want there to be a God? Every atheist I know would love to have a shot at eternal bliss in heaven.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Science cannot rationalize how we got here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not inclined to say that this is completely true, but suppose that it were. To me, this is pretty much saying that it is impossible to rationalize how we got here at all. There's not really a strictly rational way to introduce God to the conversation. In that case, why try to rationalize? Why does there need to be a reason at all? I've never really understood the "Why are we here? What is the meaning of life?" style questions.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just not true, and to be honest it is a pretty stupid thing to say. Why would anyone not want there to be a God? Every atheist I know would love to have a shot at eternal bliss in heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people would rather put thier own feeling of intellectual superiority over other humans, in front of anything else.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people would rather put thier own feeling of intellectual superiority over other humans, in front of anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that many people do that, but I still find it hard to belive they genuinely don't want there to be a benevolent God.