Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: citanul let\'s do it

Or someone could set up a Kodos gimmick account and mod with an iron fist.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:58 PM

i just thought it was a little overboard to ban him for THAT specifically. to be honest, a lot of his posts irritate me and i wouldn't care much if you banned him for any of those. i just found that specific one to be well within the boundaries. maybe that particular phrase just got me because it's one that i've joked with my friends about. but you gotta do what you gotta do. i apologize, and ty cit for pm'ing me

i'll change my loc too if you want. i haven't been reading much other than strat boards so i don't know what's ok and what's not
Old 02-22-2007, 04:59 PM

Dids,

If you don't think that saying "What are you, retarded" is potentially incredibly offensive, perhaps you should sit in the corner, with no TV and no computer, and think about it. Maybe you could imagine a world where you had a wife and a child who was born with a handicap.

Sniper,

I did, and we have cleared things up. It was mostly my fault for clicking a wrong button.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:03 PM

count me as someone who thinks banning retarded is going too far.

[ QUOTE ]
Having only a limited ability to learn and understand

[/ QUOTE ]

when I call something retarded, or tell someone they are being a retard I do in fact mean the above definition. the simple fact is people who are retarded have a low intellect so if someone is posting in manner which a poster deems to be of low intellect, retarded is an accurate adjective.

much different IMO than gay, which I like to use but understand the reasoning behind avoiding doing it, and wouldn't argue against its banning in the forums.

as another example, if someone had really bad dandruff or even bad hygiene and posted about, could I call him a leper?
Old 02-22-2007, 05:04 PM

Cit,

I know exactly where you're coming from, and I don't agree. Smug isn't doing to win you any points here. While "retarded" isn't the most sensitive thing ever, it's markedly different in use and intent from the n-word, or "gay". If the charge from Mason is to eliminate "hate speach" I don't think it passes that test.

Your role as mod should not be to eliminate that which citanul finds personally distasteful. You and I have different opinons, that's great, but I don't think it's appropriate that you thurst your standards on something this debatable on everybody else.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dids,

If you don't think that saying "What are you, retarded" is potentially incredibly offensive, perhaps you should sit in the corner, with no TV and no computer, and think about it. Maybe you could imagine a world where you had a wife and a child who was born with a handicap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cit,

true but its offensive because it is less than desirable to be retarded, it is in fact a defect. there is no getting around this.

where as being black is not, so using derogatory terms for blacks in much different
Old 02-22-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
new b4l mods?

GA would be terrible

I think T-god would be good but he has beef with Ryan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Supporting anyone who would follow the platform T-God laid out in the OP is going against what you are doing right now in BBV.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dids,

Sniper,

I did, and we have cleared things up. It was mostly my fault for clicking a wrong button.

[/ QUOTE ]

citanul,

you are being retarded.

pjn
Old 02-22-2007, 05:08 PM

however,

i do think you should be able to make bbv into your house of fun as it was well known what you would do before coming in.

i just want you to change your mind
Old 02-22-2007, 05:11 PM

Dids, censored,

I don't believe I was being smug, nor do I believe I have to win points, either with the other mods, or with the forums. That's never been my goal.

I've already gotten like half a dozen PMs specifically saying that they are glad that gay and retarded have been lumped in with the other hate speach.

I will let Mat/Gild/Everyone discuss this. I know that I've called things retarded in the past, and still do from time to time, and I also know that a large section of the population finds it offensive.

The fact that retardation is just a line on the IQ scale or whatever doesn't mean that it should be "well it's just like i'm calling him stupid, but i'm calling him extra stupid!" in my opinion. However, I'm totally willing to back off that rule if necessary.

Also there's obviously a difference between calling a person retarded, and meaning "a difficulty in learning/comprehension" than calling a situation/etc retarded. Obviously a situation can't be retarded. Whatever.

Brag: I had sex last night!
Beat: Reading every post in BBV/B4L is hard!
Variance: I'll probably have sex tonight! And a half pound burger!