Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Re: The Dids theory of human [censored]-upery.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed with Paluka, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a stupid thing to say, more like ignorant. I'd actually like to believe there is a God, but the biggest difference between atheists and religious people is faith. For some people, faith doesn't cut it, for others it's all they need.

[/ QUOTE ]

So someone who believes there is a God has a faith and someone who believes there is no God doesn't have a faith?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone who believes there is (or isn't) a God has faith. Personally, I have no reason to believe there is or isn't and I'm fine with saying that I don't know. This may also be what Paluka was saying but I cannot speak for him.

In my experience people who are extremely negative towards religion (insulting the intelligence of those who believe in a god) are just as bad as the super religious that try to stop anyone from doing anything that might contradict their beliefs. Both of these type of people take a leap of faith to act like they know everything and others are dumb for not agreeing.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:43 PM

I just wanted to say that based on the conversation in this thread that related specifically to my point, that I do think my original thought was incorrect in a way. I mean, I still think that it's a problem, but it needs to be rephrased to account for the amazing drive for discovery that we do have.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:05 PM

How many years will you believe in the Higgs boson without evidence? 10 years? 50? Until your death?

You are correct in that the older theories were proven wrong and discredited, my original query stands, how long will you believe in the Higgs boson with no evidence? How long will you believe that 90% of the universe is {mega-handwaving} dark matter without proof and verification? What if scientists tell us that dark matter never be empirically verified [unlike electrons, etc]?

If not for 2000 years, as you say, then for how long? A straight answer if you please.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many years will you believe in the Higgs boson without evidence? 10 years? 50? Until your death?

You are correct in that the older theories were proven wrong and discredited, my original query stands, how long will you believe in the Higgs boson with no evidence? How long will you believe that 90% of the universe is {mega-handwaving} dark matter without proof and verification? What if scientists tell us that dark matter never be empirically verified [unlike electrons, etc]?

If not for 2000 years, as you say, then for how long? A straight answer if you please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting.

I do not belive in the higgs bosun particle. Im told exists, and that many people are trying to prove that, but in no way do i allow my life to be influenced by the existence, or lack thereof, of a higgs bosun particle. So while i understand the point you are trying to make, you must conceed that the differing "beliefs" that each of us hold have extremely differing influences in our lives.

While i understand the point you are trying to make, i feel i must point out the differing nature of the two beliefs. The *idea* (and thats all it is, an idea) of the higgs bosun arose out of some serious critical examination of what at the time were proven theories. Its not like someone decided on some sunny tuesday that "HEY, THE HIGGS BOSUN IS WHY EVERYTHING IS HERE AND ALSO PROVIDES A REASON FOR THE MERE EXISTENCE OF ALL". Instead, the higgs bosun fits into some fairly well-tested scientific theories, and certainly is, and this is particularly key, *STILL BEING TESTED BY HUMANITY TODAY*. When you look at most religious phenoms, the critical examination ended long ago, if it ever began.

To simplify, i have never once given a charitable donation to the higgs bosun pariticle. How many donations have been made to your theoretical material.

pjn
Old 02-03-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how this Higgs Boson thing is relevant. I don't know that much about it, but from some quick reading it seems that a) there is some indirect evidence of its existence b) it has been predicted to exist in a scientific fashion which has a track record of at least partial success at predicting this sort of thing. Religion has no track record whatsoever of being correct. But no, I would not say that I believe in the Higgs Boson based on what I've read. I'd say I believe that there is a decent chance they are right, just like there is a decent chance the Bears win the Super Bowl.