Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Re: To soon to meet the family????

Even saying "you're correct...I'm going" I still can't help but think this whole thing is retarded.

Her family understands that you aren't exactly married yet and have only been dating a few weeks. What's the big deal.
And why on earth are so many people saying, "this is bad. you need to find a way to get out of this"??

This is all really weird.

People have been known to invite acquaintances from work or other random people over for thanksgiving.
I've been invited to different thanksgivings before by people I really didn't know that well.

I also don't see what's so big a deal about meeting the parents early as opposed to late. So freaking what.
It's not like the 4 of you are taking a 6-day vacation together to some cabin after only having dated for 2 weeks. Now that would be kind of weird.

But just meeting them or having dinner is no big deal. People are supposed to be somewhat social and sort of nice.

When me and my GF started dating it was just a few days before her birthday.
So on her BDay she said I was welcome to join her and her Mom and brother at some steak restaurant. I asked if that was awkward or anything because we had only been dating a week. "Meh, no big deal. They know we've only seen each other a couple times. But I kind of have to have dinner with them that night and then you and I can go to a movie or something afterwards."
No pressure really. Just be a normal person. Does it somehow mean there is more pressure on me if I later decide I want to break-up with her just because I have now met some of her relatives?

Some of the comments in this thread about how important it is for him to get out of going to dinner really blew me away. If it's a larger gathering than just find the most senile and weird in the whole bunch and strike up a conversation with them for kicks.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:58 PM

Are her parents in the same town? If so, anyone with a modicum of hospitality would invite you to dinner in this case. It isn't ever too soon to be hospitable on the holidays. Definitely go unless her mom can't cook or something. Who doesn't like Thanksgiving?

If her parents are out of town and you are being invited to travel for a few days, then its more like you think.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last week she mentions that she was talking to her mom and somehow I got invited to Thanksgiving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow you got invited??? You got invited because her family aren't total douchebags. They heard that your family wasn't going to be around and invited you. Why is this a big deal at all???

This thread is two weird. To many people are two freaked out at meeting her family.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:16 PM

Something I think everybody has missed out on and is important is that in going to a family function such as this you are able to see her and her family under a microscope. So any under lying mental craziness that she has been able conceal when it is just you and her is definitely going to come to the surface at an event such as this. Nobody can hide their true selves when they are with their family. There is such a history there that any trait that is possessed by your girlfriend or by her family, whether good or bad, will definitely come out. This will give you a good indication of whether or not you can deal with her little quirks or whether they drive you nuts. Either way, it is better to know now about any issues - personal or family wise- that you can't handle.

Also, you may find out that this girl and her family are awesome.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:22 PM

Yeah.

I met my fiancee's family (and she met mine) around the same time in our relationship (1 1/2-2 months in), and both discovered that we got along really well with each other's families.

There are numerous positive outcomes that can come from this. Beyond just having a good Thanksgiving meal as opposed to not having one since your folks aren't even around.

Just do it, obv.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:36 PM

ZOMG!!!!1!1!! You have to meet her family?!?!

LOL, relax duder. Sure, it might be a little awkward at first. But as long as you're friendly, interested, polite, and social, everything will be fine and you'll have a good time.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:58 PM

I wouldn't consider it a big deal to go to this function even if I wasn't that serious about the girl and didn't think we had any future relationship potential.
It's just a dinner....and a Thanksgiving one at that. So what.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:55 PM

Dude, just go...at least you'll find out early if her family is crazy or not. Try to have a good time.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:03 PM

free food. possible free booze and football.

sounds horrible. stay home alone and call her
during dinner to complain how lonely and stupid you feel.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 PM

could be worse