Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Albums that needed a few listens

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
M.I.A. - Kala - This album keeps getting better with every listen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I thought this was catchy as hell about half-way through. Plus, she sounded hawt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked Arular a lot, and I thought this album sounded too busy. It seemed more "interesting" than good, if that makes sense.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another choice for me would be Broken Social Scene's You Forgot It In People. I really like that album now, though I like to imagine that it ends after track 10.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm, I never really got into this album. Not that I didn't like it, it just never stuck with me. Guess I'll have to give it another shot.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, same thing happened to me. when i first listened to it i was like "yeah, it's good, but it doesn't really do it for me." now i love it. so many really good songs.

the new spoon album took me a while to get into. after a first few listens i was like "whatever," but i pout it on this weekend and it struck me that this was really, really good.

i must be the only person who was into YHF almost as soon as he got it.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely 10,000 Days. I was pretty suspect of the album even after the first few listens. Now I have a hard time deciding which of Aenima, Lateralus, and 10,000 Days is my fav. Tool album.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 1996 or so when Aenima came out, I bought it. I was young, and entering my 'hard music' phase, and all I had heard of hte album was "Stinkfist" (titled "Track 1" by MTV) and I was blown away and bought the album.

Was NOT what I was expecting, I thought that it would be a lot more metal, and I shelved it.

Then I listened to it occasionally casually, while I was playing video games or something, and I realized one day that I absolutely loved it. Still my favorite album of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I became aware of Tool about the time I stopped having time to listen to album after album and had to start getting serious about life (yes, I'm old, don't ask). The first time I heard one of their songs, I just stopped and said "That's [censored]' awesome!" I need to hear more of that." Any recommendations on what to start on if I ever get around to it? Also, what is it about 10,000 Days that's hard to warm up to?

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't answer this, because, for me it still doesn't get there, Aenima and to a lesser extent Opiate blow my mind, undertow is cool in it's own right and has probably the 2 biggest 'hits' the band will ever have.

The later albums don't do as much for me, and this is probably because I haven't had the time to listen to them enough, but, unfortunately, that's the way it goes for the time being, but this also gives me something to look forward in the future I guess.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I became aware of Tool about the time I stopped having time to listen to album after album and had to start getting serious about life (yes, I'm old, don't ask). The first time I heard one of their songs, I just stopped and said "That's [censored]' awesome!" I need to hear more of that." Any recommendations on what to start on if I ever get around to it? Also, what is it about 10,000 Days that's hard to warm up to?

[/ QUOTE ]
Really no way of answering that without knowing what the song you heard was, if you listened to the whole album featuring that song, etc. I'd say Aenima is their most accessible, followed by Opiate, and Lateralus and 10,000 Days less so. Aenima, though, is really a classic that should stand up to any album that's in a genre even close to what they do.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the info, RDH & blinden.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another choice for me would be Broken Social Scene's You Forgot It In People. I really like that album now, though I like to imagine that it ends after track 10.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm, I never really got into this album. Not that I didn't like it, it just never stuck with me. Guess I'll have to give it another shot.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, same thing happened to me. when i first listened to it i was like "yeah, it's good, but it doesn't really do it for me." now i love it. so many really good songs.

the new spoon album took me a while to get into. after a first few listens i was like "whatever," but i pout it on this weekend and it struck me that this was really, really good.

i must be the only person who was into YHF almost as soon as he got it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on reading about her a bit I saw MIA. Wow, I do not get this [censored]. Do not dig it at all. The DJ was constantly using gun sounds in and out of time. That has to be the most annoying thing ever. She did invite the crowd up to dance with her on stage at a huge festival so that was cool.

I immediately loved YHF too. The sequence from War on War to I'm the Man who Loves You is incredible, tracks 4-8 I believe. Some of the tracks in the beginning don't mesh as well so I can see why someone might be initially turned off to the album. YHF is the BOMB.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion

Just like you say, hated it at first then it turned out to be a personal favorite, so much so that I bought the next 2 or 3 ST albums. Hated them at first too, but they never did turn the corner.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:09 PM

oh yeah, for me, Blood Brothers - Burn, Piano Island, Burn! though I don't listen to it anymore
Old 10-30-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Really no way of answering that without knowing what the song you heard was, if you listened to the whole album featuring that song, etc. I'd say Aenima is their most accessible, followed by Opiate, and Lateralus and 10,000 Days less so. Aenima, though, is really a classic that should stand up to any album that's in a genre even close to what they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree wrt accessibility. If you're going to start with any Tool album, definitely start with Aenima, although I really think Lateralus is a masterpiece as well.

It's hard to explain why 10,000 Days took so long for me to warm up to, although that can be said for most of the albums that show up in this thread. I think it's because as a longtime fan of Tool, the album at first just seemed so much different. It was only after listening to it 5-10 times that I realized it may in fact be their best album yet.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:51 PM

I enjoyed Soviet Kitsch the first time through just for how it sounds. I enjoyed it more on further listens because I could pay attention to the lyrics more. I get something new each time.